Enginen died - Blowing no. 6 fuse (under-hood) @ ignition

Kinli

Advanced Member
Well, it seems the car just want's to keep messing with me.

The engine died on the highway yesterday (normal cruising, about 3% throttle) No cel etc. engine cranks but doesn't start.
I took the fuel line off and there is no fuel coming when cranking.

Checked fuses, and fuse number 6 in the under-hood fuse box had blown.
replaced it and put the ignition on (didn't even try to start) - the new fuse blew instantly.

So.. anyone else with the same problem?

fuse number 6 in a Acura RSX: "CKP sensor, ECM/PCM, IAC valve, Immobilizer control unit-receiver, Injectors, PGM-FI main relay 1 and 2, Camshaft position (CMP) sensor B"

So according to that the problem could be the ECU, IACV, injectors, fuel relays. I doubt it's the CKP / CMP and we don't have a immobilizer as stock so that's out.

But, I have a cobra alarm installed and it has a immobilizer wired to the fuel pump. So I'm hoping that would be it although I doubt it, so if anyone has any ideas let's hear them.

eXceed

Resident Driver
Man feel sorry for you mate, seems the car has something against you? Sorry I can't be of any help, wouldn't know where to start... Is it worth taking the car to a reputable tuner (TGM or something?) and leaving it with them for a week or 2 so they can get to the bottom of all these problems?

Kinli

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
Man feel sorry for you mate, seems the car has something against you? Sorry I can't be of any help, wouldn't know where to start... Is it worth taking the car to a reputable tuner (TGM or something?) and leaving it with them for a week or 2 so they can get to the bottom of all these problems?
It would be a bit too expensive to tow the car all the way from Finland to TGM.. ;)

Anyway, the problem isn't in the cobra alarm as the cobra immo is connected to the starter, not the fuel pump. And the starter is still doing what it's supposed to do.

If i could, I would take the car to honda or tuner etc. But honda Finland doesn't know shit when it comes to a JDM car.. pretty much the same thing goes for the tuners.. So I have to do everything myself..

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Page 394 (11-152) in the manual.

You should be able to fix it quite easily :wink:

Kinli

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
It sounds to me that your Main Relay (Fuel Relay) is shorting out.
Something is shorting out for sure, but it could be anything attached to fuse #6..

Which manual do you have? 11-152 is page 443 in my manual. PGM-FI system / DTC troubleshooting.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11175

The RSX manual.

The only way to know is to start eliminating things. Unplug each relay/sensor one by one until the fuse doesn't blow.

The reason I said it could be the main fuel relay is because the car shut off, like it cut off the fuel supply with no error codes.

Kinli

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11175

The RSX manual.

The only way to know is to start eliminating things. Unplug each relay/sensor one by one until the fuse doesn't blow.

The reason I said it could be the main fuel relay is because the car shut off, like it cut off the fuel supply with no error codes.
Ok, thats probably the older version of the manual.
Get the newer one from spoonertuner.

I'm on my way to the garage at the moment. I will be unplugging stuff etc. But if the short is in the wire then unplugging won't help right?

Good point on the fuel relay! I will start with that one.

I will also install kpro to see if I can get some readings.

Mark_teg

Staff member
I seem to recall that you re-wired your Injectors? How confident are you with your wiring skills :lol:

Kinli

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
I seem to recall that you re-wired your Injectors? How confident are you with your wiring skills :lol:
To be honest, not very confident with me and wiring / car-electrics.

However, I didn't rewire the injector wires, I just rerouted them.

8 fuses gone, ecu, fuel pump, injectors, iacv, fuel relay tested. All good.

When I put a new fuse in and turn the ignition on, it stays for about 3s and then you can hear as the fuse goes "snap". I wonder what routines the ecu does and in what order when one turns the ignition on.

Because just after the fuel pump has primed, the fuse blows.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Where have you got the PGM-FI earth connected to? I have mine connected to the middle stud on the head, not the manifold.

Kinli

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
Where have you got the PGM-FI earth connected to? I have mine connected to the middle stud on the head, not the manifold.
Its connected to the head as hondata suggests.

Anyway, just had a breakthru! I unclipped the CKP sensor, and the fuse didn't blow.
It looks wet, so I guess the sensor has got some rain water inside at somepoint (it didn't rain when the engine died).

Anyway, looks like the fault is found, have to see if the sensor is still usable or if I need a new one.

Kinli

Advanced Member
Update.
The sensor is DED. It has blown so badly that it's missformed (not much but still). And it STINKS! I can see water / moist inside where the three pins are. So I guess thats it. Hopefully I can get a new one quickly. Thanks guys for the ideas / help. :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I had a similar problem with an r33 gtr on the dyno once which wouldnt start , it turns over but no spark or fuel, because of faulty CPK ,basically the ecu doesnt know the engine is turning so doesnt give spark or pulse injectors etc. its common people often mistake it for an immobiliser fault , your cobra should also have 2 cuts for the immobiliser circuit, fuel pump and starter.

glad you sorted it, pretty unusual to get electrical component faults with them.

especially water damage.