EP3 - DC5

NiCkO

Advanced Member
i have seen a set of coilovers for an ep3 and i know what i have to do to fit then but my question to u guy's and girls is that they are able to lower around 120ish mm and i have seen them fitted the to ep3 a my good it is low so is there any difference's in the rear suspension componate as in rear trailing are camber links arch room etc hope this makes sence lol

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww73/jimmy306gti/lowered003.jpg

that is sed ep3 and ride hight will the teg be able to run as low ?

Stoo

Whining.....
Why would you want to run so low?
It will handle appalling.
My car was as los as it could go on its coilovers when i bought it and it was shiiit!!!

NiCkO

Advanced Member
i do agree with above post's and thank you for the input but im looking to build more of a show boat

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
i do agree with above post's and thank you for the input but im looking to build more of a show boat
Depends if you track it or not at the end of the day. If you don't track it, you can do what you like within the law. 8)

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
So what your asking is:

How low can you go

I would say not very without some serious camber and arch rolling. At a guess I would say it should go 50-60 mm without camber on STD rims but I'm sure someone else could be more accurate.
In my opinion you will not need to go anywhere near the 110 mm value to get your desired height nick

:)

NiCkO

Advanced Member
So what your asking is:

How low can you go

I would say not very without some serious camber and arch rolling. At a guess I would say it should go 50-60 mm without camber on STD rims but I'm sure someone else could be more accurate.
In my opinion you will not need to go anywhere near the 110 mm value to get your desired height nick

:)

why thank you sir that is the answer i was hoping for , i just hope i dont get arrested by the purest police!!

Stoo

Whining.....
*Purist ;)

It just ruins the whole cars meaning having it too low to drive it properly!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I will reply with some facts when I get in ( returning from snetterton with mugen fd2 after testing with TGM today at mo )

NiCkO

Advanced Member
lookng foward to c&s's reply and tbh i wont be going as low as the pic's just a bit of tucking of the tyre. and on a second note myself and a fellow fiver went for a wee photo shoot and on the way i was "givin it some teddy" and had a dose with back end coming a drift lol wasnt expecting it atall!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Ok at last back to the land of the living, and yes i will put up some pics later on,

There is nothing wrong with slamming the car on the deck, personally i really love this look, BUT it is totally impractical for use.
If you buy very expensive coilovers (ohlins or the like) you can run lower than most due to their sophisticated damping control (the way the damper controls the spring), they can still work well with very limited travel, but even with these they will only recomend a certain amount of lowering which is way less that the 120mm i read (ep3 and dc5 uses the same dampers basically i dont think they have this much travel to begin with :xconfused: )

As the dampers have a very short stroke to begin with by lowering even 50mm you are using up a fair bit of it, so basically there is very limited movement before you hit the bumpstop, if you do hit the stop when cornering the car can become very unpredictable , if you were to hit a hole while cornering and on the stop then you very could easily lose control.

you must remember our roads are not very good and changes in the road surface on normal roads here can often be an inch or more, so imagine if you have already used up all your travel? you suspension arms, links and associated components are all taking a real hammering and will wear prematurely or fail for no apparent reason (other that its too low) ,

on the front in particular the steering arm angle will be very steep leading to alot more bump steer, again making it unpredictable, the drive shaft angle will be at the limit of its angle and will suffer accelerated wear, you can also say goodbye to the wheel arch liners as they will rub for sure .

HOWEVER it is your car at the end of the day, if we were all the same what a boring place this would be, if you really want to do it and are happy to accept the risks then i say go for it.

NiCkO

Advanced Member
thank you for that reply C&S very informative and on that note i will be getting a few pictures up upon completion

NiCkO

Advanced Member
^^^ exactly where im going with mine, just need to get the spoiler off next :eek:

chiefpulsar

Advanced Member
Going for the hellaflush approach are you?

Personally i love the look, de-spoilered, slammed, cammed and running a lip kit looks B) in my books, do it mate :D

NiCkO

Advanced Member
Going for the hellaflush approach are you?

Personally i love the look, de-spoilered, slammed, cammed and running a lip kit looks B) in my books, do it mate :D
thank you sir i will :D im just debting on rims now tho maybe some work miester's ??