Error code P0118

redcap

Advanced Member
Anyone had this error code?

P0118
Engine coolant temp
Circuit high input

How to resolve the issue?

I haven't checked the coolant level but I recently had a service so I would have thought that would have been checked. Do I just need to top up the coolant or is it another issue?

Benneh

Advanced Member
High coolant temperature. So it could either be down to degraded coolant due to not being changed and it has sat there a long time and lost its heat-retention properties. Or if it was changed out, it could have been poorly done leaving an air pocket in the system. Check the level and the documentation from the service would be the first step in my opinion, and if possible reset the code and see if it reappears after a hard / spirited drive. If it does, might be worth taking it back to wherever serviced it.

redcap

Advanced Member
Thanks for your reply, I don't think the coolant has ever been changed. I have cleared the code a couple of times and it went off on its own once so I'll check the level and see if it persists.

miki1212

Advanced Member
its not physically overheating??

is more likely to be the ECT sensor, or plug to it..
also check ground wire has open circuit or voltage short somewhere in the circuit.

redcap

Advanced Member
Yeah, I don't think it's overheating as the temp gauge is not showing a high reading. Although I have thought the engine seems a bit hot at times.

It's an intermittent thing where the EML will come on and sometimes go off with out a reset.

Sounds like what you're saying could well be correct. Thanks

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Have you got a sensor reader? ELM327 and such?

Would be worth plugging it in to see what the sensor reading actually is.

If you don't have one, get one, best tenner you'll ever spend :)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk