ESMM vs Mugen Enging Mounts

tokgeen

Hi guys,

Ive done a search, and read good things about ESMM mounts. Correct me if im wrong, ESMM mounts are added to stock mounts, whereas Mugen mounts are mounts themselves, so basically if one is to change to mugen mounts, u throw away the stock and completely swap the mounts. did i understand this correctly?

So once that is clear. Whats the pros and cons of have esmm added to stock vs mugen mounts? Other than $$, i mean since i have stock mounts now, the price of esmm is tempting compared to mugen mounts which costs a lot.

currently i have a toda manifold with a spoon engine damper, i am thinking of changing to harder mounts and take out the damper. Reason is that the damper is pulling the engine from one spot only, doesnt look too balanced to me. Id rather if engine movement forces distributed more evenly (i.e. thru the mounts)

could you confirm that these are the esmm mounts for our car?
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... 110&cat=26
my dc5 is pre facelift, im in hong kong

thanks in advance guys for clarifying!

Tokgeen

Evs

Advanced Member
tokgeen said:
Ive done a search, and read good things about ESMM mounts. Correct me if im wrong, ESMM mounts are added to stock mounts, whereas Mugen mounts are mounts themselves, so basically if one is to change to mugen mounts, u throw away the stock and completely swap the mounts. did i understand this correctly?
Correct

tokgeen said:
So once that is clear. Whats the pros and cons of have esmm added to stock vs mugen mounts? Other than $$, i mean since i have stock mounts now, the price of esmm is tempting compared to mugen mounts which costs a lot.
Mugen ones are reputedly somewhere between standard and ESMM-equipped in terms of stiffness. It could be argued that the Mugen items are properly engineered from scratch whereas the ESMMs are a bit of a fudge. I've got ESMMs in mine and they're fine, but the OEM mounts were pretty new when I fitted them. I'd caution against just fitting OEM mounts to make up for worn OEMs. My advice would be, if you need new mounts anyway then get the Mugen ones, but if your mounts are in good condition, you want to save some money and don't mind a bit of extra harshness then the ESMMs are OK.

tokgeen said:
could you confirm that these are the esmm mounts for our car?
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... 110&cat=26
my dc5 is pre facelift, im in hong kong
Look OK to me, I'm not aware of any differences between the RSX and JDM DC5 in this respect.

Gunn79

Advanced Member
I have full replacement mounts in my DC5, and I think they are probably my favourite modification - Well worth the money. I think mine are a fair bit harder than the Mugen mounts tho, a LOT of cabin vibration, but the driving feel more than makes up for that.

tokgeen

thanks guys for your replies. thats helpful

gunn, what brand are your full replacement mounts?

jostrom

Advanced Member
Mugen mounts cost a lot, are hard to replace and won't do much for you. Just get the ESMM inserts. If you don't like vibration and don't have a K-Pro to increase your idle revs a bit, you can always use the rear inserts only. Even they help more than the Mugen full mounts.

I used to have Mugen mounts, but had to use ESMM with them as well. Mugen mounts really aren't much stiffer than the OEM ones and they are the exact same form and do accept the inserts. Then I also started using Hasport rear mount to kill the wheel hop when doing a burn out at drag strip.

tokgeen

thx jostrom, i dont have kpro but do have k100, as of now idle is at 900... is that good enough in terms of minimizing vibrations? or u get it up to 1000?

spo_gen

Advanced Member
tokgeen said:
thx jostrom, i dont have kpro but do have k100, as of now idle is at 900... is that good enough in terms of minimizing vibrations? or u get it up to 1000?
Go with what ever you feel is most comfortable.
No point asking others, some members are dead inside and feel nothing and some are very sensitive beings. :lol:

Who does your mapping in HK btw?

jostrom

Advanced Member
tokgeen said:
900rpm is already very good compared to standard 750rpm idle. You will be fine with that, just get the ESMM inserts.

tokgeen

thanks guys

gti engineering does it for me in hk, they are the only dealer in hk i think. :)

cheers.