Evo mag comments - mirrors my DC2-DC5 thoughts.

morgan

Advanced Member
Mate gave me a copy of an old Evo mag (sep 06, shoot out of the best FWD car ever, 15 cars, won by UK-DC2). Interesting read, particularly as (like many of you) I came into DC5 ownership having first owned a DC2 , flogged it and realized nothing else made me happy...

Anyway. I have found the DC5 harsher and the LSD far less forgiving than the DC2, but assumed it was just me. Quite nice to find the following quotes in an article on FWD evolution over the years that lists the DC5 as the ultimate expression of FWD, but also gives an honest appraisal of its faults ! Thought it may be of interest.

Quote1 - "You cannot powerslide a FWD car (although the current integra typeR almost makes you think you can, such are the extraordinary antics of its LSD)" :)

Quote2 - "But is it best to try and hide a cars innate FWD-ness or let it shout as an art form in itself ? I come back to the current Integra typeR, next to which the DC2 is a model of civility. The current one is raw, with massively corrupted steering and a sledgehammer LSD make it keep turning. Its FWD and proud of it ! "

That Q2 is exactly how I have found the DC5. Harsher than the DC2 and the 'massively corrupted steering' is spot on... (First time I hit bumps on a B-road while overtaking I knew ALL about that ! ).

Still love it, but longing for smoother and DRY roads ! :)

moggs

Advanced Member
What does "massively corrupted steering" mean?

I can't compare the two as i have never driven a DC2 so can you explain a bit more clearly, how is the steering diferent and how is the diff different? Don't know much about them.

Cheers Ian

celox performance

Advanced Member
Swings and roundabouts, the LSD on the DC5 is great on track and as the DC5 was built for the track it does it's job well. I have to agree though, the LSD on the DC5 can be quite harsh on bumpy roads.

bling

Advanced Member
moggs said:

I can't compare the two as i have never driven a DC2 so can you explain a bit more clearly, how is the steering diferent and how is the diff different? Don't know much about them.

Cheers Ian
This seems to be 'Common Faults' amongst Evo journalists where if a car is fwd and has a lsd and is setup for optimum track handling they allways make out it is terrible on british roads.
they have said this about several different cars e.g:
focus rs
civic type r
integra type r
and others aswel.
after owning all 3 i can clearly say that on most road conditions all 3 cars are fine. ok you do get the steering tug on uneven road surfaces due to the the lsd trying to balance the power but to say it is corrupted steering is abit OTT! and its a rarity as most roads nowadays are alot better.

its a bit like saying high performance tyres are terrible in snow conditions!
True but how often will you need to worry about snow? not enough for you to not buy them.

spo_gen

Advanced Member
bling said:
moggs said:

Cheers Ian
This seems to be 'Common Faults' amongst Evo journalists where if a car is fwd and has a lsd and is setup for optimum track handling they allways make out it is terrible on british roads.
focus rs
civic type r
integra type r
and others aswel.
after owning all 3 i can clearly say that on most road conditions all 3 cars are fine. ok you do get the steering tug on uneven road surfaces due to the the lsd trying to balance the power but to say it is corrupted steering is abit OTT! and its a rarity as most roads nowadays are alot better.

True but how often will you need to worry about snow? not enough for you to not buy them.
AFAIK, Evo have not tested the JDM CTR. The UK CTR does not have a LSD. :? The steering tug you get is Torque Steer.

tron2k3

Advanced Member
I never understood Evo's reviews, in the magazine they gave the DC5 four stars and a 0-60 time of 7.1 then on the website they gave it five stars and the 0-60 time is 6.0.

Also reviewed the EP3 CTR as 4 stars then on the website reviewed the facelift as 4.5 stars but never updated the mag. :?

I still enjoy reading it though I guess the good thing is that people will see the 0-60 time and think it's not very quick and will not buy the car then ours will hold their value because there will be less demand for them :lol: If only :roll:

bling

Advanced Member
spo_gen said:
bling said:
moggs said:

Cheers Ian
focus rs
civic type r
integra type r
and others aswel.

AFAIK, Evo have not tested the JDM CTR. The UK CTR does not have a LSD. :? The steering tug you get is Torque Steer.
i know the uk ctr has no lsd, orginally when evo tested the ctr it was at ilse of man tt road with a jdm car! and ctr does not torque steer!

spo_gen

Advanced Member
I know the press release EP3 was not exactly UK spec as is all cars from different manufacturers.
But you have clearly have made a list of FWD with LSD. Was your CTR a JDM model?
The DC2 was designed for track and had LSD. The car was just as good on our roads than it was on track. Didnt it win a small award? :lol:

I managed TS in my old CTR. Not trying hard enough. xthumbup

bling

Advanced Member
spo_gen said:
I know the press release EP3 was not exactly UK spec as is all cars from different manufacturers.
But you have clearly have made a list of FWD with LSD. Was your CTR a JDM model?
The DC2 was designed for track and had LSD. The car was just as good on our roads than it was on track. Didnt it win a small award? :lol:

I managed TS in my old CTR. Not trying hard enough. xthumbup
the list was the list of cars that got bad comments when tested by evo mag not a list of cars i had with lsd.

wonder how you managed to TS a ctr? all that i got when it was too much power through the wheels was banging, steering unable to react quick enough due to the electric PS! plus the car has hardly any torque to make it TS! LOL

dan the man

Advanced Member
Thing is tho guys majority of us drive DC5s all the time and get used to the steering feel and the wheels squirming it and making it have more of a life of its own. (no matter how small it is)

Road testers are in all sorts of stuff so notice the msall inputs more than people who drive them all the time- you guys.

After ive drove the NSX for quite a while and jump in a FWD car i notice it too, the wheel chattering away while the front wheels gain and loose grip and while power transfers about. as im not used to it with the X.

Is good for forewarning tho of what the wheels are doing traction wise, the X just spins BAM and im steeering into it :lol: