Exhaust crunch @ 2,500 rpm... ??

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Is this the start of my cat starting to fail? I get a kind of grinding/crunching noise around 2,500rpm but above or below this and nothing..?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Have you checked that its not just blowing? with the car running, stick your head under, get a friend to blip the throttle and you will soon find out where the noise is coming from that way. :)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Are you definite it's within the confines of the exhaust? You could be cheeky and go to an exhaust fabs to get a "free quote"

What you want is for someone to get it on the ramps and from underneath it should be much easier to isolate what section it is or even if it's perhaps something else nearer the manifold like the cat you mentioned.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Gordyitrdc5 said:
Manifold Heat shield?
I have literally no idea...

davidpingu said:
Are you definite it's within the confines of the exhaust? You could be cheeky and go to an exhaust fabs to get a "free quote"
What you want is for someone to get it on the ramps and from underneath it should be much easier to isolate what section it is or even if it's perhaps something else nearer the manifold like the cat you mentioned.
And that's the problem, cars so low you can't even see under it :( lol, definitely going to get it up on ramps somewhere after Christmas. Sounds like it coming from the rear 2/3 when I sit still and rev it slowly until I hear the (un)desired noise.

dotty

Advanced Member
Cool.

So care to give any more information ? Or do we have to go off a 2500rpm crunch and the fact you can't see under your car?

Merry Xmas.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I can't give any more info that what I already have unfortunately. I will obviously have to pay to get it up on some ramps soon but was just hoping for some ideas of what it may be (and potential costs)

newyorkaddict

Advanced Member
Have you not got a jack Liam? If it's mega low, use a couple of blocks or planks of wood to raise the front or rear end, just stagger them and drive onto them, so you can get the jack under there. If you can get this done, you can allways check for leaks with a piece of paper. Just get someone to rev the motor and run a piece of paper past the exhaust and watch for any sharp movement. At least that way you can eliminate leaks.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I don't no but my brother does, we usually use the OEM jack to lift it up just high enough to get the bigger jack under. Bloody pain in the arse :p