exhaust knock in first and second only?

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Hi all.

Recently developed a little nock every time I pull off in first then second gear. Almost sounds like something gently knocking the spare wheel pan.
Going to get under it at the weekend and have a proper look also see if I can talk a mate into riding in the boot for a min to narrow it down.
From reading on here could it be gearbox mount? If it's a good guess is there anywhere that can do a next day delivery?

Thanks in advance.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Few things to check... I know when fitting my spoon, I had to trim down a metal stud that is near the hangars at the rear for the backbox. Could be fouling on that, or secondly is it catching on any anti roll bars etc ? have you changed and drop links for slightly longer ones thus causing it to foul, changed the header atall?

Does it sound like front or rear?

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Few things to check... I know when fitting my spoon, I had to trim down a metal stud that is near the hangars at the rear for the backbox. Could be fouling on that, or secondly is it catching on any anti roll bars etc ? have you changed and drop links for slightly longer ones thus causing it to foul, changed the header atall?

Does it sound like front or rear?
Definately sounds rear, or at most mid car. Only happens in first and second. Not changed awt of recent.
My exhaust does look ever so slightly off center but I had guessed that was due to the missus re-shaping the back of my car for me.

Benneh

Advanced Member
Another thing to check for, as I recently found out, is a snapped drop-link! Easy enough to check too :)

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Thanks chaps. Seems to be plenty of gap between the ARB and the drop links look pretty new. The hangers are in decent nick too.

The noise comes right in the change between gears, just before the gear engages and force is put on the car. I do get a very similar knock when going over a bump quicker than I should.

I am going to look pretty daft when it turns out to be something under the spare wheel, or at least i hope it will be.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Another part that is close on mine is O2 sensor right next to the heat shield. Mine is on dc sports manifold but worth a look.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Thanks for the ideas chaps.

Gonna have to get a mate in the boot to have a closer listen. Its bloody annoying and cant see anything suspect in the boot that would be making the knock. If its stops raining for 5 effin minutes I might get chance to get to the bottom of it.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Well i think its all leaning towards mounts.
All the drop links seem fine, nawt else seems loose that I can see. The hangers look in good nick at the rear but its hard to check much more with my tiny jack. I had a mate climb around the boot whilst driving and he checked everything internal and said it sounds outside the cab in the floor.

So.. should i go for the easier gearbox mount change first? Do i just need to fit inserts or am I looking at whole new mounts?

Is there awt else anyone can think of before I go for the mounts or inserts. Also where to source said parts would be great.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
So got to the bottom of it :)

Bought some hyperflex inserts from here with the intention that if the mount is knackered I will use these to keep me going and decide if i like firmer mounts then order a new OEM mount for a later date.

Enlisted a couple of mates and plied them with chippy tea and beer. Took about an hour and a half of playing about but finally got the front mount off. The DIY guide here was a great help as was the tip for detaching loom and bending the clip.

.. and yes it was goosed as suspected. You can see the split in the bottom.

Fitted the inserts and gave it a blast, no more exhaust knocking on the bottom of the car :) happy man as it was driving me nuts.
Did not get to the rear as light was fading but its on the cards and happy to drive it now knowing I am not going to do any further damage.

The inserts are a massive difference and yes it does rattle the cab on idle but makes you giggle at the same time :) makes yer nuts vibrate too which could be a good or bad thing! The feedback and responsive feel is a massive difference and loads of fun.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
They will soften in a couple of weeks and you will then stop feeling the vibrations too. Haha just get used to it. But... that mount does look split, or is it just the camera angle? if so, id be replacing that and putting the insert in again.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
They will soften in a couple of weeks and you will then stop feeling the vibrations too. Haha just get used to it. But... that mount does look split, or is it just the camera angle? if so, id be replacing that and putting the insert in again.
Yup right leg in the pic is split. Inserts will keep me going for now but got to be replaced. Inserts will go back again too :)