Exhaust Noise

soibui

Hi, would appreciate any help with this problem I got with my DC5.

I fitted the GruppeM airbox this friday, drove it for few days and it was fine, noticed a increase in the loudness of the exhaust, but thats normal I guess. Washed the car few days later, and ever since the car has been feeling weird. Firstly the exhaust note at idle is similar to that of a Subaru, and the car vibrates a lot more than it use to, and after few more hours of driving the engine check light came on. Took it into the local Honda dealer, and they said it was a spark plug misfiring, and changed it for me.

The car drives fine now and the power is back, but at idle the car still shakes and sound strange.

My mate told me some water may have got into the airbox and damaged something, like the intake sensor. Plan on changing the engine oil and filter tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks....

soibui

haha, nothing, haven't Kpro'd it yet, its booked in for the end of the month at System-R. But the guy at Honda said there was a fault with cylinder 1, and he showed me the spark plug, it was black. He changed it for me, but something still feels wrong, was thinking that maybe some water might have got into the engine via the airbox....

mikegsi

Staff member
it does sound like that could have happened, but im no mechanic......

you must really have given it a soaking if it is the cause of the problem?

i remember a garage replacing an engine for me in a 200sx s13, they connected the pipe from the washer reservoir to the inlet manifold, every time they revved the engine it squirted water out the exhaust!!!!! they had been doing this for a while and tried to tell me the head was fcuked..... i ended up diagnosing it for them and giving them a jolly good bolloking!
but this didnt seem to damage the engine in any way, it ran perfectly fine for a good while till i sold it on.

it does sound like its only running on three pots though, id get a compression test done on it, see what that comes up with, tbh dont think changing the oil and filter will do a great deal, but you could try, it could be something completely unrelated.... hope so anyway!!!