Exhaust Rattle?

BadBoy

Advanced Member
I am a bit confused as I have an intermittent rattle coming from the exhaust. It sounds as though it is coming from the front and then again it sounds as though it is coming from the rear.

However when I touch or nudge any part of the exhaust the rattle dissapears and then will either come back straight away or when the engine revs.

Any ideas?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
If you have std manifold check the heatshields as its quite common for them to rattle, the exh is hung from rubber mounts so something must be touching if its not the mani

BadBoy

Advanced Member
Fiited a spoon b pipe the other week and the noise started. I thought it was the b pipe but yesterday night I was playing about and noticed that if I was to nudge the exhaust the rattle would dissapear and then if I touched the backbox it would dissapear also.

Only thing that I have still to check is the cat heatshield. The manifold heatshield is solid.

g-zone

Advanced Member
Check the hanger (on the backbox) on the right hand side (when viewed from the rear). Underneath the car is a small tubular section of metal that may be touching the hanger - this will cause it to rattle if there's not much clearance. Touching the back box does stop this rattle.

BadBoy

Advanced Member
It's definately my mid pipe, jsut jacked the car up and no heatshield is loose. When I hit/knock the silencer on the b pipe you can hear it rattle.

With the vibrations being soft/hard it is intermittent :(

aself66

Advanced Member
try wrapping some of that heatwrap stuff round the bit thats hitting the chassis did it with mine now rattle free !!!