Exhaust thermal gasket

Justintian

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Just curious about the exhaust thermal gasket, as suggested for alternative way for heat management, preventing the heat conducting back to the engine. Although the traditional heat wrap is normally used but it has its bad side where slows down the cooling on exhaust manifold. Ceramic coating outside the manifolds other way to solve this issue, again is similar to heat wrap if coated outside. From pure chemical engineering point of view the coating should be inside the manifold rather than outside as been pointed out in here. The inside coat will prevent the thermal conduction to the steel manifold.
http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technical/128028-thinking-heat-wrapping-your-exhaust-manifold.html

I kind agree with this as the heat cool heat on metal would cause more damage than you think on stainless steel for the sake of few hps on a NA car. I kind like the idea of using thermal gasket for exhaust section with a traditional heat shield then wrap thermal covers over different lines rather than a heat wrap. It looks like the plastic/TEflon gasket for the intake manifold. However, it is nowhere to be found for sale on our k engine.

What would your think on this?

Cheers.

Fez

Advanced Member
Do they make them for any engine? I've never actually seen one for the exhaust side.
The exhaust manifold can get up to like 1000 degrees, (at a guess) so making a plastic gasket to withstand temps like that would be pretty hard i'd imagine.