Exhaust tone - tutorial

davidpingu

Advanced Member
So basically I've had a standard oem exhaust system on my car since I've owned it and despite being very refined it's just a little too quiet considering I'm currently running an oem intake too so I wanted a change and to perhaps unlock a bit more power.

I saw newyorkaddict was getting rid of his DC sports system in favour of a fujitsubu and he was asking a very fair price for it so I snapped it up. He did warn it was on the loud side and he wasn't wrong! Had it fitted today and it's really deep and rumbly, actually doesn't sound like a Honda at all at the moment. So it got me thinking. What is it about an exhaust that decides how it sounds?

I'd be interested to hear some more science around exhaust diameter as I think this has a lot to do with it. So I've gone from what I think is a 2.25 diameter up to a 2.5 so I think that plays a part but can anyone explain why?

Anyway here's what I'm getting at. This article:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/surferx/93-exhaust-design-effects-noise.html

I found it to be a good read and learnt a lot. For instance I didn't know that the mid pipe cannister, what we call a silencer is actually a resonator and works in a different way to the backbox muffler.

In the case of my system, this was removed at some point in the exhausts life and I found it interesting to read how it is a common misconception that removing the centre canister will improve performance but it actually doesn't effect flow but is there to help noise levels. So in my case it appears that a pretty important part of the system is missing and it explains why at 4k revs the whole car feels like a giant speaker in affect resonating at that frequency. I intend to speak to a custom fabricator to get a resonator returned there and am eager to find out if it will sound more like a Honda again. Oh and less headaches would be nice too.

Will keep you posted but hope this proves to be of help in some way!

Brockstar89

Advanced Member
I believe that the increased diameter allows for more air which can carry more sound through the exhaust. As for the centre box, as you said it is needed to help with flow and back pressure.

Brockstar89

Advanced Member
Also with the boxes it actually allows the air to expand in to the bigger space, changing the pressure and slowing the air down.