Exhaust wrapping....

Erm

Advanced Member
Hi guys, have seen a previous thread where this is discussed that a lot of cars have a problem when you upgrade your catback in extreme wet conditions for whatever reason it'll start knocking/vibrating on the floor of the car.

I'm thinking of wrapping my exhaust to help with this problem. Now it doesn't happen in normal wet conditions, just in extreme wet conditions like I encountered yesterday where I'm guessing the underside of the B pipe was getting wet and quickly cooled whilst the top was still very hot, therefore meaning it was being pulled up closer to the body of the car and therefore knocking/vibrating... if that makes sense?

Any potential drawbacks to wrapping it? Or horror stories? Or is it a positive thing if done correctly?

I just don't want to be caught on the motorway one day it tips down and be snookered as to what I can do cause it can be horrific sounding especially at speed!

Thanks!

Javirai1

Advanced Member
i suffer with this problem hugely........ i have a standard system apart from the back box......

in the wet, and spray.... my exhaust sounds like its about to fall off with major knocking and vibration. Drives me insane to the point where i have to avoid driving in the wet weather if i can.

I had a lengthy discussion with Tom at TGM about this including wrapping.... with the exhaust systems being of a different grade steel they react differently to the wet weather over here. Whilst wrapping will temporarily help, it will eventually soak up the water and start to fall off and fray, and once again will let the moisture back in. All your left with is a trail of frayed wrap under the car. And once wet, is a nightmare to get dry and bad for the exhaust in the long run.

TGM have had many cars in which suffer from this problem, Tom even mentioned that a few people have had the exhaust painted with a special heat paint to try to eradicate it but to no avail.

I'm looking at replacing the whole system with a stainless steel system, not the mild steel system it came with!!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I've not had this problem once since i changed the cat-back and b-pipe from OEM to Mugen Twinloop

Edit, and that was about 3 years ago!

Erm

Advanced Member
Javirai1 said:
i suffer with this problem hugely........ i have a standard system apart from the back box......

in the wet, and spray.... my exhaust sounds like its about to fall off with major knocking and vibration. Drives me insane to the point where i have to avoid driving in the wet weather if i can.

I had a lengthy discussion with Tom at TGM about this including wrapping.... with the exhaust systems being of a different grade steel they react differently to the wet weather over here. Whilst wrapping will temporarily help, it will eventually soak up the water and start to fall off and fray, and once again will let the moisture back in. All your left with is a trail of frayed wrap under the car. And once wet, is a nightmare to get dry and bad for the exhaust in the long run.

TGM have had many cars in which suffer from this problem, Tom even mentioned that a few people have had the exhaust painted with a special heat paint to try to eradicate it but to no avail.

I'm looking at replacing the whole system with a stainless steel system, not the mild steel system it came with!!
Mine's ok in what i'd call normal wet weather, just extreme rain where the surface of the road is under inches of water it happens.

Have read that the Spoon and Mugen are immune to this issue as they're not as wide as some of the other systems? Not sure if this is true or not.

ste01

Advanced Member
Javirai1 said:
I had a lengthy discussion with Tom at TGM about this including wrapping.... with the exhaust systems being of a different grade steel they react differently to the wet weather over here.
So they blame the steel grade for the noise generated in the rain/wet?

Dan34

Advanced Member
I thought the noise was from the rain hitting the heatshields not the exhaust itself?

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I thought it was the rain boiling on the exhaust and hitting the heatsheild as a result

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
Mines used to do it with my pro spec cat back but it would only last about 20 seconds then disappear.

Javirai1

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
So they blame the steel grade for the noise generated in the rain/wet?
he mentioned that as its a different type of grade steel, it reacts differently to the rain. it expands and contracts differently in the cold wet weather when its hot causing it to move and subsequently rattle and knock against the underside.......

Toms a real pro and expert with the DC5 at TGM ....

Erm

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
I thought the noise was from the rain hitting the heatshields not the exhaust itself?
maxvr6 said:
I thought it was the rain boiling on the exhaust and hitting the heatsheild as a result
I know this would be a can of worms when I posted it as people have different opinions on the cause of this noise. All I can say from experiencing it, I really don't think its the heatshield and that explanation. The one that made most sense to me was what I posted above which I read on club RSX, however I still think whatever the cause wrapping could be a possible solution?

Its nothing that's going to really worry me, just thought if I could eliminate any problems in the future by wrapping I would do it, but wouldn't if wrapping it would cause more problems.

Here is the clubRSX thread: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=796642

Javirai1

Advanced Member
its a nightmare.... drives you insane when it happens....

i had to crawl back from portsmouth on the motorway one night because it was raining.... 40 mph..... makes you feel like a bit of a fool!

not sure if the heat shield is connected/bolted to the exhaust in any way...... try taking it off and giving the exhaust a bit more room? see if that helps maybe????

civic17_99

Advanced Member
I've experienced this vibration only a couple of times with my Toda exhaust. But it only seems to happen when there's lots of surface water which causes it to vibrate for a few seconds.

Rom

Advanced Member
Ive not done this for a long time. But when i last read up on it, i think i read a lot about it can possibly keep too much heat in the exhaust, more than it can handle.
Also maybe heatsoak back into the head ? As the header and whole system is hotter than normal.

That didnt stop me wrapping my manifold. But may be worth reading up on. I mean wrapping is the norm for race teams isnt it ?