extra performance on a budget?

mikegsi

Staff member
exactly what im after?

what can i spend as little as possible on and get the best results from.

id like to only spend about £600 in total, may be able to stretch if convinced about a certain product.

if i go for exhaust change i dont want something ott loud, (had a tanabe system on a dc2, that was toooooo much!!)

jonster

Advanced Member
I don't think you can do much with £600 on the engine. You really need to change the intake / exhaust header / cat-back and then have a Hondata ECU flash or KPro. NA ain't cheap.

For a non-engine mod I think fitting lighter wheels gives a good performance increase.

My 2 pennies worth.

Jon

T666YPR

With only £600,you'd be best to lighten the car for free before buying anything.

Wish I'd have started with the suspension first as well,before increasing power.

mikegsi

Staff member
was thinking maybe if i get a de-cat done, then fit some sort of induction kit, that should be well within budget, but would i see any noticable gains?

mikegsi

Staff member
not really too much i could lighten it with, i couldnt not have air con or power steering, i dont know of much else i could do other than pull seats out, which again i dont really want to start doing! :D

T666YPR

Intake & de-cat is about all you can do then.

You'll get prolly between 10-15 at the fly,depending on what you opt for.

mikegsi

Staff member
i can get a de-cat pipe made up for about £40, nothing fancy, but it'l do the same job!

as for induction kits, everyone has there own inputs and favourites, i want something easy too fit!!!

been looking at this on funky products

http://www.funkyproduct.co.uk/item_deta ... rodID=2111

thing is i could probably get it shipped over from america (showstoppers) for a hell of a lot less! but the last lot of stuff i got from them (group buy, aem v1, ctr) took just over a month to arrive!!

hmm, just been looking at the Gruppem (?) system, that look easy enough to fit and has good feedback on it!

gonzo

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
i can get a de-cat pipe made up for about £40, nothing fancy, but it'l do the same job!

as for induction kits, everyone has there own inputs and favourites, i want something easy too fit!!!

been looking at this on funky products

http://www.funkyproduct.co.uk/item_deta ... rodID=2111

thing is i could probably get it shipped over from america (showstoppers) for a hell of a lot less! but the last lot of stuff i got from them (group buy, aem v1, ctr) took just over a month to arrive!!

hmm, just been looking at the Gruppem (?) system, that look easy enough to fit and has good feedback on it!

Expect to pay big bucks for a gruppe-m!! £400-450

Injen is highly recommended as an open cone induction

De-cat would help but a nice spoon catback would be good aswell!

T666YPR

AEM v1,is that the AEM CAI ?(return of the pedant :wink: )

only joking.

If you go for stuff that can easily be bolted on/off,at least you've got the option to change later. 8)

Once the cutting starts,there's no turning back.

mikegsi

Staff member
sorted the induction kit out, went with the injen from funky products.

couldnt decide between this and the aem till he said the aem was short ram.

big no thanks i told him, ill take the injen.

so that was £200, de-cat will be about £40, leaves about £360 on other products, any ideas??

gonzo

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
so that was £200, de-cat will be about £40, leaves about £360 on other products, any ideas??

Hope a cheap zorst comes up for sale!!

If not i'd recommend sorting the springs out - Spoon progressions are highly recommended.

mikegsi

Staff member
hopefully an exhaust that aint too loud!!

off to get the de-cat done now, might be tempted by a fine quality peco exhaust while im there! :xsmachbottom:

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
The best ever first mod regardless of marque is a driver development day! It will help you get much more from your car than you thought possible, you will also be able to take this mod with you :wink:

All IMHO of course!! :)

jonster

Advanced Member
I don't see how you can de-cat without butchering you stock 2-1 section. You are better off getting a Spoon 2-1 (£150 - £200ish) cat bypass and fitting it to your stock 4-2 header section. You can then add the Spoon 4-2 header later on. This gives you good gains in stages, even though the Spoon 4-2 2-1 combination is not the best it's still better than stock.

I hope you are joking about the PECO :)

Injen is a good move though.

Jon

mikegsi

Staff member
went to the exhaust place and your right, the only way to do it would be to butcher the current standard system. not gonna do that to it.

does de-catting make that much difference? or is it worth saving the pennies and getting a full system, manifold back?

i was joking about the peco's mind, however appealing they looked!!!

as to a driver development day, i think the rozza driver training ive done has given me more than enough 'experience and knowledge' about flinging cars about safely! shame i cant legally get a blue light for the top of my car!!!

while it was up there i discovered that it hasnt been undersealed, the lad i bought it from assured me that it had, and that it had been a proper job too. its booked in at honda for front pads on friday, may get them to slap some underseal on while its in, im sooo looking forward to the courtesy car im gonna get from them :?

jonster

Advanced Member
I'm not sure if a good header alone without a decent cat-back will give good gains. You usually need both and they only work well if coupled with a good intake (which you've sorted now). I would rate the Jackson Racking 4-2 2-1 header above the Spoon one for making power. I think it's a bit cheaper too. I'm not sure if you can pop the stock 2-1 cat section back for MOT time with the Jackson though. The man to call about all this is Guy at CPL (http://www.cplracing.co.uk). He only stocks stuff that makes power which he has researched though Dyno time.

I found my Spoon 2-1 decat on the stock header did make some difference, but not as much as matched full header. It makes an even bigger difference with a different ECU map (which is the last engine mod to add). The stock ECU can only self adjust so far.

Jon

mikegsi

Staff member
ive done a bit more looking, i dont want an exhaust which is stupidly loud, i had a tanabe exhaust on a dc2, i ended up taking it off and putting a stock one back on.

there's a hks cat back system which isnt a loud one, and apparently has given reasonable gains, if i match this up with the injen i should feel some difference, im not expecting huge gains, but just something without the exhaust roaring away behind me! i'm expecting the injen system to have a nice 'note' to it though!

still got more checking to do though before i make a decision!

jonster

Advanced Member
Sounds like a plan. Part of the fun is doing the mods in stages.

Just putting my Mugen Twin-loop cat-back as my first mod felt like it made a difference. Sounds like the HKS will give a similar result without going too loud.

mikegsi

Staff member
oooops, our lass is just pulling up on the drive, i was meant to have hoovered today, been too busy looking into and buying stuff for my car!

not that im bitch whipped or anything!! :D

gonzo

Advanced Member
I have an amuse zorst which is powerful and quite quiet!!! (Probably quieter than Spoon, Skunk, etc)

Only problem is though is its full titanium and costs about £1200!!!