Facelift grille on pre facelift

David Fox

Advanced Member
Just a quick question - and no one bite my head off if this has been covered before, but I am away in the desert and get about 3 mins on the internet a day, so no searching for me for hours as usual. I have seen a members car on here (Adam something) who has a facelift grille on a pre facelift. Bottom line - I want to do this. Does anyone know what is involved - Is it a simple swap or is it more complex than this? I have PM'd him but I assume he is either busy or does not want to reveal his secret (I wouldn't either!)

Cheers,

Foxy

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
From what I can see - he's mounted a FL grille with red 'H' holder to a PFL bumper, which has had the 'accent/vector' and H holder custom cut out, himself or by a body shop

here's the thread: http://www.itr-dc5.c...facelift-grill/

And here's pics:

Looks neat, pretty neat - I think the red 'H' sits a little too low though... I think I still prefer PFL... though I was desperate for a 'grille' as such with PFL headlights/lip before I purchased a DC5.

David Fox

Advanced Member
Thanks for that mate, much appreciated. I agree that it sits too low, will have to look into this a bit more before deciding. I have a spare 'H' holder so will see what can be done when I get home eventually. thanks again for that mucker!

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
If you're prepared to spend the money - it can be done for certain.. However I'm not sure if it is actually better than PFL - it's nice, it's unique, but significantly better? I'm undecided myself - hats off to the owner for pulling it off though. Secondly, for the same money there could be better looking alternatives...

You're talking about custom cutting the accent out of a PFL bumper - possibly plastic welding the number plate hole while you're at it, then having the whole lot primered/sprayed, then finish by purchasing a FL grille/badge.

Unless you're cushty with a body shop, and can pick up a cheap FL grille - i'd say one would be looking at £500+ IMO

David Fox

Advanced Member
Ah, now I didn't realise there would be cutting of the old grille involved - I thought that part was separate to the rest of the grille. I'm not prepared to do that, I don't think. Maybe if I got hold of another bumper and bastardized that, but then we are talking silly money for a bit of cosmetic, which isn't worth it IMO.

Thanks again for the info, just an avenue I wanted to explore.

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
You wouldn't be cutting the old grille, it would be the 'accent/vector', that the PFL Red H holder sits on, which will require cutting out. I assume it would then be a case of fitting a FL grille behind the modded PFL bumper. :)