Failed MOT- exhaust emissions

Samy888

Advanced Member
So i had my MOT test on saturday night,

had the reader put into the exhaust and was told it had failed...
over twice the legal limit.

i have just booked a re-test for the emisions test again for this evening lol
im going to chance it and see it it passes!

its a 2001 model integra with J's racing 70RR Titanium system. no cats, or silencers .

has anyone else failed MOT becasue of this?

cheers :)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Having a decat system will fail an MOT. You will either need to find a "friendly tester" or swap the system over for MOT to one with a Cat, and then swap back.

Samy888

Advanced Member
i know loads of people who have passed MOT with no cats, even my other half put her M3 through a few months
back with no cats and she passed fine. i think it really is to do with the tester.

so we will know for sure later. hope i dont get the same person! lol

Samy888

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
your MOT inspector must be deaf as well then yes?
surprisingly the exhasut is very quiet on idle. he reved it to 3k however and nearly took the doors off the place.
he then turned to me and the look on his face said it all.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Samy888 said:
i know loads of people who have passed MOT with no cats, even my other half put her M3 through a few months
back with no cats and she passed fine. i think it really is to do with the tester.

so we will know for sure later. hope i dont get the same person! lol
That's the "friendly ones" i was talking about. No car will pass without a cat.....the results get fiddled to simulate a pass. Your mot guy this time was just doing it right, but can i ask why you didn't take it to the same place as your other halfs M3 in the first place? You'll be wasting your time getting it rechecked at the same place mate.

Samy888

Advanced Member
it all depends on who you get. her M3 was tested in the same place as my car. also over here in northern ireland
there are dedicated MOT centres. not just a garage.

spooke

Advanced Member
Just put the standard exhaust on for the MOT... also afaik you don't require a catalytic converter in Ireland?

spooke

Advanced Member
Samy888 said:
Northern Ireland is part of the UK. maybe southern ireland?
Ah my bad, I'm sure I read this somewhere :p, do you not have the OEM exhaust then?

Samy888

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Ah my bad, I'm sure I read this somewhere :p, do you not have the OEM exhaust then?
still do have the OEM one... but its all the hassle of fitting it!!! however its not my daily car which does help. :)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Samy888 said:
it all depends on who you get. her M3 was tested in the same place as my car. also over here in northern ireland
there are dedicated MOT centres. not just a garage.
Oh right. My bad. Yeah, fingers crossed you get the nice one then. If not, may be easier just to stick old back on if possible. But in theory it shouldn't pass.

Samy888

Advanced Member
finger crossed.... a kind MOT man work save me a few ££ especially coming up to christmas!

Samy888

Advanced Member
So just out of MOT. it passed!!!!! YUSSSS so I pulled up to the testing hatch to be met by the MOT tester. he proceeded to test the vehicle putting the reader into the exhaust and still showing on the graph reading off the chart. (actually reading more that what it previously ran on Saturday)

He looked at me and grined.... asked me what make my exhaust was and then said reverse round to the back of the MOT centre and I'll meet you there. he handed me my pass certificate and said that might need changing for next years MOT 😉
I thank you so much mr. MOT man.
so happy right now :) :)

jrscho

Advanced Member
Do you ever get trouble with police or neighbours? Lol my friend is getting a 70rr for his ep3.. Cannot wait to hear this beast!

Samy888

Advanced Member
jrscho said:
Do you ever get trouble with police or neighbours? Lol my friend is getting a 70rr for his ep3.. Cannot wait to hear this beast!
To be honest no. I never have. I tend to keep it under 2000 rpm and only blast it when I know I'm 'safe' lol

Also it's not a daily driver which does help. the sound is simply addictive. tonnes of bangs and flames is always a good time ;)