Failed MOT on plates

Grov

Banned
I was under the impression the sticky plate stickers sold by Chris were the correct size and ok, just not legal because they were stick on. Well my car has just failed an MOT because of the front and rear plates. The rear plate hasn't changed since it's been imported id assume, so it looks like ive just come accross a jobsworth tester, who wouldn't pass it.

urineed off doesn't cover it, as i was booked in at tdi north tomorrow.

raz786

Advanced Member
Could they not make you the plates at the MOT place and then just have retested it there and then for free?

Grov

Banned
In a word no, they were complete and utter masturbateers.

The one bloke was almost going to pass it, until this old bloke went in and obviously told him not to. I was close to giving him a smack.

It's passed last 5 MOT's before.

Where am i supposed to get new plates from?

gibby85

Advanced Member
Front sticky is a no no. If you left the original plate with the holder on you would be fine as the DVLA states. He cant fail you on the rear plate because a plate with British sized lettering does not fit in the recess. But since you took the holder off you have a whole front bumper to fit a British sized plate. I fell into this trap when i was stopped by the police in Aberdeen.

I copied this from the site, it might help.

The Road Vehicles ( Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) regulations 2002 SI no. 2687 came into force in November 2002.

These amendment regulations introduce a new regulation 14A, making special provision in relation to the size and spacing of characters in the registration number of some imported vehicles. These regulations also include the display of motorcycle sizes for number plates on imported vehicles. The provision only applies to vehicles imported into the UK which do not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and are so constructed, that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration number in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.

Also contained is an amendment to regulation 3, to prohibit the use of a number plate on which the background is patterned or textured, or gives that appearance.

Where a vehicle has been allocated a UK registration number, the number plate must comply with the specification and standards laid out in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, as amended. Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display numberplates with smaller characters if the vehicle does not have European Community Vehicle Type Approval and the vehicle's construction/design cannot accommodate standard size numberplates.

The dimensions for the smaller sized plate are:

• each character in the registration number must be 64mm high
the width of each character of the number, other than the letter 'I' and the figure '1' must be 44mm

• the width of every part of the stroke forming a character in a number must be 10mm
the spacing between any two characters within a group must be 10mm

• the vertical spacing between groups of characters must be 5mm

• the width of a margin between the number and the top and lateral sides of the numberplate must be not less than 5mm

• the space between the bottom of the number/character and the bottom of the plate must not be less than 13mm, but within that space, the space between the bottom of the number and the top of the name and postcode of the person the plate was supplied must not be less than 5mm.

Grov

Banned
Ive just gone out and measured the rear plate, and it does seem small, there isn't 10mm of space, it's less than that, more like 8mm.

Ive still got the front plate, but it's the same design as the rear plate so i just think it would fail.

Looks like got some rear plate on.

Im going to take it to the place that MOT'd it last year, if they fail it, ill just get a new rear plate and leave that on, and get a temperary front plate just to pass the MOT, dunno where frrom though lol.

gibby85

Advanced Member
Ive just gone out and measured the rear plate, and it does seem small, there isn't 10mm of space, it's less than that, more like 8mm.

Ive still got the front plate, but it's the same design as the rear plate so i just think it would fail.

Looks like got some rear plate on.

Im going to take it to the place that MOT'd it last year, if they fail it, ill just get a new rear plate and leave that on, and get a temperary front plate just to pass the MOT, dunno where frrom though lol.
Could be a motor bike plate mate. In all honesty it is at the testers discretion if he deems that a failure(on the front anyway)

Halfords do British plates mate. Take your V5 as you will need it. http://www.fancyplates.com/constructor.html do import plates.

raz786

Advanced Member
Go elsewhere mate, it's just the testers that are being masturbateers.

If it failed on nothing else I think another tester will pass it. If you were near me I'd send you to a friendly garage lol, hopefully you'll sort it in the morning and then have a good day at TDI!!

Type_R6

Advanced Member
shame you didnt have the standard front plate on when they failed it. Jap import plates are smaller than uk plates and will pass the mot, you could of made them look like a right bunch of vaginas! Just out of interest why didnt you just take it to the place that mot'd it last year :xconfused:

Grov

Banned
No, the front plate i had on, would also of failed, because it's exactly the same as the rear plate. The letters are only 8mm apart.

The other garage cancelled on me on Saturday, and couldn't get me in till 2moro. I was booked in at TDI north at 9;00am for K100, so now ive had to cancel that, and might not bother now anyways as ive only got catback and tegiwa M.

Hoodster

Advanced Member
Just stick legal plates over your plates using double sided tape and then remove them after the mot it doesn't matter how they are attached as long as they stay put.

Grov

Banned
Just stick legal plates over your plates using double sided tape and then remove them after the mot it doesn't matter how they are attached as long as they stay put.
Yeah looks like thats the best option.

Just on that fancy plates website, so what actual size do i need to make the plates legal?

Will the standard front plate fit, and does it just come as a stick on, and what about the rear, as it's not straight accross, is the motorbike one ok?

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
on fancy plate choose fancy plate and not standard uk plate

make sure you set the font to standard uk and keep it everything else looking standard so no logos etc.

front 6 x 12
rear is 7 x 13

neither come as a stick on

rascal69

Advanced Member
I use american size plates on my 5. Had them on civic jordan aswel.
Never had a problem. I think the place you have took your car are just being fussy and c*nts.

Woppywop

Advanced Member
Got my MOT at Honda tomorrow... My plates aren't legal, little to small and I have no spacing... If you have a look at my car in 'Garage' you will see what I mean.

Roll on tomorrow!

civicjordan281

Advanced Member
There prob just being masturbateers mate,my dc5 has passed its mot for the last 2 years with a sticky plate that i got from chric cc

Woppywop

Advanced Member
If you know your plates are not legal why bother trying to mot it with them on?
Because it will depend on the tester... And it may save me £10-£15 on new plates on top of the MOT (I know it's not much but still).

If it fails it fails, just get them to make up a couple of plates there and then.

Grov

Banned
There prob just being masturbateers mate,my dc5 has passed its mot for the last 2 years with a sticky plate that i got from chric cc
Aparently the law has changed again in the last 12 months.

Ive managed to see a mate of a mate. Showed him the pics and said it should pass, if it doesn't can make plates for it, but my only worry is the front plate as it's sticky, how can you attach a legal plate to pass the M.O.T olver it? Rear one isn'tr a problem as you obviously just swap it.

fornicateing nightmare for something so trivial it's pathetic. Complete rust buckets on the roads, and i can't drive my Teg.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Get a uk size plate made up and use double sided sticky tape to cover up the sticky that's on there already as it will bend round the bumper no problem and be big enough to cover the sticky without having to peel it off.

After the mot take it off and just keep it for the future mot's.