FAO 3" exhaust owners / Forced induction owners

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
hi all,

i know this has been covered before but the search doesnt like 3"

basically, i am getting a silencer welded into my 2.5" b pipe next week and getting it adjusted to OEM standards so i have more choice of backboxes, as i have a spoon n1 ready to go on.

however, for the amount i am paying it wont cost that much more to get a new silenced 3" b pipe fabricated.

now as i am Rotrexed i know i will gain quite a bit of power from increasing ID to 3", however the backbox would still be restrictive?

also how bad is the drone?

at the moment i have unsilenced 2.5" with J's backbox and it is SILLY loud.

so surely a silenced 3" with spoon n1 backbox would be quieter still, and give me a performance benefit with a map tweak?

but i do keep seeing references to the dreaded 3" drone which is putting me off haha.

also, will i be safe to run a 3" b pipe without map tweak as i cant really afford one atm?

i know thats a lot of questions but i need to know this sooner rather than later as the car is booked in on tuesday and i had to wait 2 months for that slot!!! lol probably should of asked this earlier but been busy travelling as some of the notts lads know haha

cheers chaps

Chewy

Advanced Member
And he's back, haha....Hope you had a nice time on your travels.

Where are you getting it done if you don't mine me asking?

From speaking to people about a 3" myself, drone is unavoidable really, There's people running x2 silencers in the B-pipe alone and as much as It makes it quieter, you still get drone...Just depends on your personal noise threshold in the end.

I remember reading up on this S2K thread, sounded like it was a very lengthy task to find the exact spot to place the piece where it can be most effective, something to think about though.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
And he's back, haha....Hope you had a nice time on your travels.

Where are you getting it done if you don't mine me asking?

From speaking to people about a 3" myself, drone is unavoidable really, There's people running x2 silencers in the B-pipe alone and as much as It makes it quieter, you still get drone...Just depends on your personal noise threshold in the end.

I remember reading up on this S2K thread, sounded like it was a very lengthy task to find the exact spot to place the piece where it can be most effective, something to think about though.
i am back but off again tomorrow to oktoberfest in munich, dont worry lads i will have a beer on everyones behalf ;)

i dont mind a loud exhaust, just as long as its quieter than the J's Racing system that i have explained above, and would ideally like a system that is track friendly!

i have it booked in at JP exhausts in macclesfield.

they are expensive but have a great reputation and couldnt find anyone else nearby or in notts that was significantly cheaper.

and the fact there was a 2 months wait was a joke haha

Chewy

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
i am back but off again tomorrow to oktoberfest in munich, dont worry lads i will have a beer on everyones behalf ;)

i dont mind a loud exhaust, just as long as its quieter than the J's Racing system that i have explained above, and would ideally like a system that is track friendly!

i have it booked in at JP exhausts in macclesfield.

they are expensive but have a great reputation and couldnt find anyone else nearby or in notts that was significantly cheaper.

and the fact there was a 2 months wait was a joke haha
3" silenced with Spoon N1 will be somewhat quieter than a 2.5" inch unsilenced with a J's backbox - Will still be loud for you but with the potential added drone.

Hard to say if you'll see much more power mating a 3" B-pipe to a 2.5" N1 as the N1 will be holding it back so it'll only be marginal at a guess.

Track friendly? You'll be close, as some have change from a standard Spoon N1 + Spoon B-pipe due to exceeding track limits to the likes of a RM01A, etc...

I know it's easy to say, but your best bet would be to get a full 3" custom system made up with track limits in mind, it'll be the best all round for fitment/noise levels/power.

* Enjoy Oktoberfest you jammy sod! haha.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
3" silenced with Spoon N1 will be somewhat quieter than a 2.5" inch unsilenced with a J's backbox - Will still be loud for you but with the potential added drone.

Hard to say if you'll see much more power mating a 3" B-pipe to a 2.5" N1 as the N1 will be holding it back so it'll only be marginal at a guess.

Track friendly? You'll be close, as some have change from a standard Spoon N1 + Spoon B-pipe due to exceeding track limits to the likes of a RM01A, etc...

I know it's easy to say, but your best bet would be to get a full 3" custom system made up with track limits in mind, it'll be the best all round for fitment/noise levels/power.

* Enjoy Oktoberfest you jammy sod! haha.
yeah i see what you mean with the N1 holding it back, but my thinking would be that for now i would temporarily use that as funds are low, can always get a custom back box to match in the future!

and the reason i am broke is due to the fact i keep going to events such as oktoberfest haha.

but i will only regret in the future if i dont do these things while i have the chance...

Fez

Advanced Member
I went to solid fab for a 3" system on my h22a7 civic, and it wasn't droney at all at any rpm, and was very quiet even with it completely stripped with no sound deadening, not sure what dB it was but got on track with no issues.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I had 3" solid fab with biggest middle silencer that will physically fit and normal size back box ( not oem size) drone done my head in! Took off after 6 weeks

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
I had 3" solid fab with biggest middle silencer that will physically fit and normal size back box ( not oem size) drone done my head in! Took off after 6 weeks
what did you have before or after to compare it to?

ive had unsilenced 2.5" with a spoon n1 and found that manageable

and now have decat plus unsilenced 2.5" with J's racing and this is too much....