Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Supercharged

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Turbocharged

Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters

dave c

400hp K20
Ok so I think this one will write itself so, opinions please...

*Poll is assuming the same power levels with each setup so say a nice round 300hp

If you could fill in the poll then provide your opinions like this:

DRAG (Question 1)

Because wheelspins + blah blah blah

RACE (Question 2)

Because...Race car! + blah blah blah

ROAD (Question 3)

Because stickers init + blah blah blah

Be very interested to see people opinions and reasons

dave c

400hp K20
DRAG (Question 1)

Supercharged - Because it will grip off the start and have more torque than N/A

RACE (Question 2)

Naturally Aspirated - Because flat out is flat out so traction is key on track imo

ROAD (Question 3)

Turbocharged - Because it has torque for every occasion

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
1) NA because traction and hold onto revs for trapping in 4th
2) NA because racecar and throttle response
3) NA because vtak sound

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
DRAG (Question 1)

Turbocharged - Because brute top end power counts to bag the win.

RACE (Question 2)

NA - 1. Instant throttle response is needed to pull the car out of a corner.
2. Reserving tyres better compare to high power FI cars therefore retain better grip for longer.
3. Managing heat better to retain maximum engine power therefore lap times can be consistent.

ROAD (Question 3)

NA - 1. Better fuel economy
2. Reserving tyres better throughout the year.
3. Reliable

kazmo

Advanced Member
how can people say N/A for racing when the new btcc civic is turbocharged, as are other top teams

Riz

Advanced Member
Turbo for all three, as there will be more power over more of the rev range :)

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
kazmo said:
how can people say N/A for racing when the new btcc civic is turbocharged, as are other top teams
this is due to the NGTC regulations. to make it more affordable for entering teams and to keep costs down. N/A builds are going to be more expensive to extract more power. If the limit was set at max 300bhp and then they decide to change the regs to max 350bph then teams running N/A would have had to redesign and build a brand new engine.

under the current regs its max 2000cc. as its a turbo there is an overboost function so all teams can easily up the power to follow the regs without the substantial cost.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Drag - I said supercharged. Supercharger gives instant power with no lag and if it delivers the same peak power as the turbocharged equivalent I can't see how the turbo would catch up?

Race - NA for me. Smoother delivery of power so id like to think more traction. I'm imagining a fair bit lighter than FI too?

Road - I said supercharged again. Going round roundabouts at high speed I'd rather not go from lag to boost in a split second. This is better demonstrated on a rwd though :D - again no lag with this option too so more predictable and gradual power.

dave c

400hp K20
kazmo said:
I think the theory goes as all the cars have the same power the delivery of N/A would be best suited.

Best response and least torque so good for track imo

dave c

400hp K20
davidpingu said:
Drag - I said supercharged. Supercharger gives instant power with no lag and if it delivers the same peak power as the turbocharged equivalent I can't see how the turbo would catch up?

Race - NA for me. Smoother delivery of power so id like to think more traction. I'm imagining a fair bit lighter than FI too?

Road - I said supercharged again. Going round roundabouts at high speed I'd rather not go from lag to boost in a split second. This is better demonstrated on a rwd though :D - again no lag with this option too so more predictable and gradual power.
On your road comment, you're talking about turbo's of yesteryear mate, a decent mapper can control the power delivery on a modern turbo conversion.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Drag - No idea
Race - N/A because you're always in the top power band and it's likely the rev limit would've been increased to hit 300bhp (excluding K24s)
Road - No idea

dave c

400hp K20
Interesting results, not what I would have expected and I have to say, I don't agree with the majority lol

Strongly disagree with "N/A" being the top choice for "Road"

Seems the only one we can agree on is N/A for racing, having said that tho limited to 300hp all three would be very similar imo