FD and DC5

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
Any one own both and can give us an honest opinion...i am about to sell my DC5 as i want something newer. i want someone unbiased as Honda promos are not for me.
I want to know:

FD vs DC5

1. handling.
2. ride quality
3. fuel economy, othwerwise i would consider an EVO

Evs

Advanced Member
On the basis of a short-ish test drive in a FD2 I would say
1. FD2 better (by miles imho)
2. DC5 better (marginal)
3. FD2 should be slightly better when run in

FD2 has better midrange power delivery too, it has the RBC intake manifold and a few other changes.

That drive in the FD2 was what convinced me to sell my DC5, as it was better 'out of the box' than my DC5 was with the difference in value (£7k)spent on mods.

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
do you reccomend adjustable suspension for the FD2? i hate a crushing ride...i find my dc5 with 60K now in the clock to be becoming a bit crushy..

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
I think Lee means me :lol:

TBH, my replies are the same as Evs. Fuel economy is certainly no worse than with the 5, but I'm driving it a hell of a lot harder, the chassis really encourages you to go for it :p

I do have AST's fitted, which have improved the ride quality. It's still hard, harder than the DC5 was, but I find the damping is improved and it's quelled some of the bounciness, it feels much more planted.

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
Thanks guys. I heard about the FD2 been a stiffer ride but considering is running on 18s with lower profile tires it does make sense. To be honest i like the looks of DC5 more but i believe FD2 will grown on you and to be honest looks much better in person even though only seen white ones and white is not my favorite color.

Evs

Advanced Member
I agree re the FD2 looking better in the metal, OK it's a big four-door saloon but it has some nice styling features and 'presence'. Tbh I think it's one of those cars where the looks don't matter once you've experienced the drive... 8)

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
The funny thing is that physically it's little bigger than the DC5, I parked next to Ed's a few weeks ago (it's too damn clean), and there's only a inch or 2 in it; it just looks much bulkier.

phil r

Advanced Member
fd2 and dc5

Sorry to hijack thread but surely a dc5 with fast road set up & kpro would be better , i'm only saying this because surely lot cheaper option .
I say this because to me and 6 other people I was with up japfest all said the dc5 still looked a lot nicer , yes the fd2 is nice but not as nice as a 5 & what put me off more than anthing was going into the honda showroom & seeing a new hybrid car , looked the same as the fd2 without the spoiler , the mrs thinks its a shame they have discontinued the teg as she loves the 5 as much as I do , correct me if the differance is that much , can't see it tbh 8)

Evs

Advanced Member
I think it is tbh

Evs said:
That FD2 was better 'out of the box' than my DC5 was with the difference in value (£7k) spent on mods.
My DC5 had Zeal coilovers, braces, full Toda system, GruppeM, Hondata IMG, KPro...

Just my opinion, of course, but given that the two cars would cost about the same I know where my £21k would go :)

A cheaper DC5 with just the basic stuff done (say £13k) might win on the basis of being better vfm, but that's not the same as being 'better'.

:)

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
I'm trying to understand what the point in hijacking it was? Your post has a very valid point, but not even vaguely in the context of this thread so far :?

The OP is looking for a newer car. While a fast road and K-Pro are definitely cheaper, the fact that the FD has been mentioned means they aren't too worried about the costs.

Looks are a subjective issue - one man's masterpiece is another's dogs dinner. You don't like it and that's fine, but perhaps the OP does. Yes, it's the same shell as the Hybrid...our DNA is ~95% similar to that of a chimp - it's the details that make the difference.

Suped

Advanced Member
DolphiN Tech said:
Looks are a subjective issue - one man's masterpiece is another's dogs dinner. You don't like it and that's fine, but perhaps the OP does. Yes, it's the same shell as the Hybrid...our DNA is ~95% similar to that of a chimp - it's the details that make the difference.
lol Loving the comparison to primate! :lol: :p

tron2k3

Advanced Member
The only way to find out would be to test drive one, and make up your own mind.

Tbh I prefer the looks of the DC5 but the FD seems a natural progression if you love the DC5 but want a newer car with less miles etc. Plus all reviews seem to rave on about the handling and the responsiveness of the engine low down compared to the DC5, sounds good to me :)

Also depends if you want a car that is similar to the Teg but a slightly improved version or want something totally different as you've mentioned an Evo

phil r

Advanced Member
fd2 and dc5

DolphiN Tech said:
I'm trying to understand what the point in hijacking it was? Your post has a very valid point, but not even vaguely in the context of this thread so far :?

The OP is looking for a newer car. While a fast road and K-Pro are definitely cheaper, the fact that the FD has been mentioned means they aren't too worried about the costs.

Like the reply :lol: but this is a dc5 forum not a fd2 & I'm sorry but will stick up for the teg all day long , the fd2 is a great car what feed back I'v heard from others & not forgeting your nearly getting a brand new car & compared the price of our english civic its a steal , its just the looks let it down for me , just my opinion though .
I would prob spend 15 grand on a scooby wr1 :wink:

George K

Advanced Member
DC5 vs FD2

I am also trying to make the choice. I am looking for a second car suitable for road use and some competition. At present I hill climb a Clio Trophy, which handles brilliantly wet and dry, but is relatively gutless and not that light (180 bhp after quite a lot of work and 1,090 kg).

According to my research the DC5 is 4,385 mm long and 1,170 kg, whereas the FD2 is 4,545 mm (same as a 3 series) and 1,270 kg - so it would seem that the DC5 is the better starting point - bearing in mind that I shall modfiy the suspension and the FD2 probably needs the AST conversion at a minimum, so nothing saved there.

roncee

Advanced Member
fd2 driving ability aside, i would get tired of explaining to people thats its not a hybrid that went on pimp my ride.

Evs

Advanced Member
I wouldn't get tired of telling people it's not really anything sporty, just a hybrid... :wink: :lol: