Feel like crying... Commute may force sale :(

larz

Advanced Member
Got myself a new job! WOOO! Have to commute about 3 hours a day! BOOO!

Integra does about 30mpg with combined driving. The commute is lots of bendy roads and road works. I need to get something that does 50mpg or so. I'm going to have to sell... If I did 50mpg instead of 30mpg i'd save about 2.5k per year on fuel and about 400 per year on insurance if I went for something like a 520d or even a 320d. It seems like a shame to subject my beloved teg to mile after mile, filling up the tank every two days.

Need comforting :(

NeilH

then dont get a 520 or 320.

keep the teg and buy a R reg fiesta.

or if you want 90+ mpg get a pug 106 1.5 diesel.

cjh1981

Advanced Member
then dont get a 520 or 320.

keep the teg and buy a R reg fiesta.

or if you want 90+ mpg get a pug 106 1.5 diesel.
thats what im doing the the money i will spend on a run about will be not far off a set of new tyres and petrol saved in the teg over the year, job done

www.chriexcrementchcock.co.uk

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Im also doing this. Getting to a point where i cant justify commuting in the car mile after mile and putting wear and tear on it just from daily driving.

If i can get a car for under £500 with long MOT. It will pay for itself by time the MOT is due including insurance

ladykb

Advanced Member
I use mine as my daily commute 150 mile round trip to the office.... but i think if i sold my car and bought something cheap to run i wouldn't be happy doing the 150 mile trip and id soon be looking for a job nearer home.

Id rather get the pleasure of driving her for a couple of years then getting a newer one with lower mileage than drive something i will not enjoy.

I love the drive in my Teg and honestly i think i only accept the long drive because i get to drive my teg... YES its expensive, yes ive put 18,000 miles on in just under a year, but as they say a TEG is for DRIVING :xyes: :xyes: :xyes:

larz

Advanced Member
Being stuck in a line of cars, all going to work in the city is not "driving" as I see it... I want the teg for country roads, sunday drives and quick overtaking on short straights. If i'm going to be stuck in traffic, there are far more luxurious ways to do so.

Not having the integra would save me 3k a year on fuel and insurance. Now I know The parts in the beamer are more expensive but I'll just have to put up with that, they're not that bad. Plus, going 80-100km/h for 2 hours on a windy bumpy road puts a lot of wear and tear on the car, and on my body. I'm tired before I even start my day's work. Getting a crappy little peugeot will be exactly the same. It's not all about the mpg, I need something comfy too...

Plus, if i was to keep the integra as a 2nd car it would be nuts. I would only get to drive it at the weekends, which wouldn't warrant paying 1100 euro in insurance and 614 euro in tax every year. That would be crazy, not to mention having to pay at least 300 insurance and about 150-300 euro on tax for a crappy little peugeot.

I'm going to miss the integra so so much.. only have it a year and a half.

steveitr

Advanced Member
Yeh i would get a 320d mate, lets face it 2 to 3 hours in a peugeot isnt going to be fun!

DC5 are an awesome car but personally 2 to 3 hour drive a day would do my head in

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Buy a cheap car that does good MPG with the money you will save on petrol, keep the teg for the weekends! :xcheers:

Problem solved, :lol:

cpoh

Advanced Member
Where you moving work wise Larz? Buy a sh*tbox and keep the dc5 for weekends and the odd trips to work would be my advice! Getting a citroen berlingo van with commercial tax and insurance for peanuts myself soon.

alucardo

Advanced Member
I do 280 miles a week in my teg to and from work 50 mins each way if I was going over an hour in travel the dc5 would go.

Have you considered selling the dc5 and getting a dc2 as a weekend toy then a nice derv creature comforts for day to day then you can have a blast at the weekends....

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
Assuming you're taking a pay increase in said new job, offset the saving in the first year by buying a cheap daily.

Then start using the extra income when it starts filtering through to turn your 'Teg into a track monster!

paul 16v

Advanced Member
a few of my mates have 106 1.5 diesels as a car to commute in and they both say get over 60 mpg....and also to who ever said van insurance is cheap... its not my caddy cost 550 quid a year to insure through my dads business(who i work for) thats same as integra costs!

cpoh

Advanced Member
a few of my mates have 106 1.5 diesels as a car to commute in and they both say get over 60 mpg....and also to who ever said van insurance is cheap... its not my caddy cost 550 quid a year to insure through my dads business(who i work for) thats same as integra costs!
Cheap enough in Ireland Paul, my NCB is being mirrored plus 30% extra reduction as im an existing customer, works out around €350 for the eyar, cheap commercial tax and great on juice.

Grov

Banned
You lot do realise that it is a car and it is meant to be driven dont you?
Whats that got do to with anything? The problem is the money spent on fuel. A 3 hour commute in a DC5, doesn't sound like much fun to me either.

Just buy a crappy diesel for work.

Ricerocketdc5

Advanced Member
Don't do it man! It will break your heart. I sold my Evo VI because the costs were crazy. I got a 2.0 accord fine car but my god I hated it :( Sold it dc2 on the way 8)

S

stwteg

How come you dont move closer to the city- somewhere like Ballincollig??- I lived there its great!! Near town but not too near!

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Just to destroy it all, i have an 8 mile 12 minute blast to work every morning :twisted: :-"

eg9_dc2

Advanced Member
tough 1.

id say keep it.you live once, you work hard, the least you can treat yourself to is vtec!

buy a clean little cheap diesel (their not THAT bad) lol. 306 tdi...406 even.....and switch between the dc5/diesel weekly or every 2 weeks....