Final drive upgrade.

Jvzr

Advanced Member
Thinking of rebuilding my box early next year.
I'm running 240bhp and very happy with that power.
But I'm interested in upgrading the final drive, as I always fancy doing bits to the car to improve it. I don't like standing still.

It will probably never see a track or drag racing so it's just for use on my Spins when I decide to drive it on a bit.

Is the 5.1 a worth while upgrade? Iv seen lads say the difference is unreal.
Or am I better off with a 5.3 or something else?
Ill more then likely be doing synchro's while the box is open.

Be also going fidanza flywheel and oem clutch.

Is the cost worth the upgrade? Or should I stick to oem.

Any opinions welcome

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I fitted a 5.1 to my first dc5 and it was a noticeable difference but in my ep3 I used a 5.46 and it was epic so I've brought another 5.46 for my dc5 and will be going with a slightly longer 6th as it was a bit grim on the motorway.

People are starting to go more aggressive than the 5.46 but with the power you have a think it's a great move

Fez

Advanced Member
I've just bought a 5.3FD to go in mine, but still debating the ep3 6th, i spoke to MikeWilliams, and he said he wished he did the ep3 or accord 6th, but my girlfriends standard ep3 (on same size tyres as mine) sits at same rpm at 70mph in 6th so cant really see there being a gain. Mike said his sits just below 4,000@70, and a friend of mine as an ep3 with dc5 6th and a 5.4FD and it aits just over 4k@70mph which to me both seem quite reasonable.

Richie200

Advanced Member
I don't regret having a 5.84 in mine. Currently running 252bhp and is pretty savage going through the gears. Motorway journeys are interesting to say the least. 70mph sits at 4300rpm and the exhaust on mine doesn't help. But maybe I'll get an EP3 sixth gear in the future once I decide to rebuild the gearbox. It's a big jump from a 5.1 and 5.3, so maybe try and find a car with a 5.46 or higher if you feel brave. :)

Jvzr

Advanced Member
Cheers for the replies.
Yeah look at graphs, I think the 5.47 might be a bit much of a jump for normal road driving.

Just don't want a fit a 5.1 and be disappointed I didn't go higher.
Has anyone a few videos of there's on acceleration with different final drives?

Thanks

Fez

Advanced Member
Richie200 said:
I don't regret having a 5.84 in mine. Currently running 252bhp and is pretty savage going through the gears. Motorway journeys are interesting to say the least. 70mph sits at 4300rpm and the exhaust on mine doesn't help. But maybe I'll get an EP3 sixth gear in the future once I decide to rebuild the gearbox. It's a big jump from a 5.1 and 5.3, so maybe try and find a car with a 5.46 or higher if you feel brave. :)
Video please 😍

Fez

Advanced Member
Jvzr said:
Cheers for the replies.
Yeah look at graphs, I think the 5.47 might be a bit much of a jump for normal road driving.

Just don't want a fit a 5.1 and be disappointed I didn't go higher.
Has anyone a few videos of there's on acceleration with different final drives?

Thanks
Thats how i felt. Especially after my previous car going 4.2 to 4.6 i didn't really notice it apart from the higher revs. So 5.3 on the teg seemed the one for me.

MrRy

Advanced Member
I have a 5.3 with a longer 6th. In some ways I wish I went for a 5.46 but at the same time, I'd be needing to go into 6th gear on the odd track and it would just die with a longer 6th. I couldn't have just the final drive in as a daily, it needs the longer 6th IMHO. but 6th gear is my cruising gear and I never speed on the road, you'll never see me go past a tonne anywhere except a track for example.

Jvzr

Advanced Member
Cheers Folks.
What brands are ye using?

IT wont be cheap by the looks of it with the flywheel etc.
Im trying to find videos of the 5.1 and 5.33.
5.46 Seems like it would be a bit much for road use.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I've been using the Mfactory parts, great quality. I think mine is an Mfactory pro series 5.46

I can see your concern about the 5.46 but they are fine on the road, it's the motorway and larger dual carriageways that did my head in. Pound for pound you're putting your money into a great modification, I do the gearbox before any power mods on my cars now. The fact you have the power already you're going to enjoy the final drive 5.3 or 5.46 which there is not a huge difference in anyway

Adrianmc

I'm getting a 5.3 currently fitted so I'll post a video as soon as I get it back if you want? I didn't opt for the longer 6th gear as the car isn't used that much so it shouldn't effect the pocket a great deal. The fella that is fitting the final gear for me strongly recommended that I go for a 5.3, its the best of both worlds as a 5.1 isn't aggressive enough he wreckons. Spoon sports are very high quality.

Jvzr

Advanced Member
Adrianmc said:
I'm getting a 5.3 currently fitted so I'll post a video as soon as I get it back if you want? I didn't opt for the longer 6th gear as the car isn't used that much so it shouldn't effect the pocket a great deal. The fella that is fitting the final gear for me strongly recommended that I go for a 5.3, its the best of both worlds as a 5.1 isn't aggressive enough he wreckons. Spoon sports are very high quality.
That would be great. Is yours mapped and all?
Did you do flywheel and synchro's while it was out?
What is a rough cost all in, pm if you like.

Mattj

Advanced Member
I've just put an mfactory 5.84 in mine, though the gearbox is still on my floor in the unit. I'll get some videos of it when it's back together and aligned. Powerwise I'm 236/196, (but that's in 4th. If it was dyno'd in 5th like most are they'd be much higher figures) with that amount of torque I have a feeling it's going to rip though gears

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Fez

Advanced Member
After having my 5.3 fitted for a week or so now, it now feels much quicker... If i accelerate out of vtec/low revs. Once up there i dont think it is actually any quicker, nor does it feel it. And today i did a track day with a mate who has a stock dc5, and on the straights there was nothing in it, i pulled slightly out of the hairpin where he would be out of vtec but i would be just in it, but other than that we were pretty evenly matched.
We were doing the same speed around each corner, but i had more gear changes than him and i was normally a gear above.

Im not sure where im going with this lol...
But yes it feels better from low rpms, and more 'lively' around town, hills, normal driving I guess, but has it actually made the car faster? Honestly, i dont think so.