Final Drive

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Hey
Has anyone had this done? If so is it a notable difference in acceleration? I imagine you'll loose some top end speed but don't quite know how much... Anyone have any views or opinions on these; worth the money, which brand (OEM, M factory etc )
Any input welcome =]
Cheers

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
a 5.46 pulls like a train in 5th and 6th :)

I await Coyote to post below telling you how awesome it it and that you deffo need to change your FD.

lee76

Advanced Member
Just had A clockwise motion 5.4 fitted to the race car. Ian rekons possibly a second a lap faster at some circuits. A mate got one of Ian and went from a normal top 6 on the grid to putting the car on the front row and noticed a difference in how the car pulled.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
If you decide to do this I would recommend you do this when your clutch needs to be replaced to save costs. The increase in acceleration is noticeable. How much depends on what ratio you go for.

e.g. Say your torque value is 150 ft/lb.

With a 5.062 FD (aka 5.1), you would need the equivalent of 159.38 ft/lb of torque with the standard FD to accelerate at the same rate.
With a 5.46 FD, you would need the equivalent of 171.91 ft/lb of torque with the standard FD to accelerate at the same rate.

A great mod then no? Well yes and no. Remember that:
a. You are shortening the top speed within each gear
b. Your car will be louder at the same speed due to the higher revs. There's usually a rev level threshold where your car becomes droney. If a change in FD puts your usual motorway cruising speed in that threshold then....
c. Increased fuel consumption but tbh this is negligible with a 5.1 FD at least

For a race car like Lee's it's a great mod (in addition to individual gear ratio changes). For a road car you should think about practicalities IF that's important to you. Otherwise just crack on 8). I personally love the 5.1 FD for track for pulling out of slow corners. I would love a 5.46 FD even more for track work but on the road, my motorway crusing speed limit would probably be around <60 before it gets droney (for me) :xaiweb6:

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
What ever questions / concerns you have send them over. I've had the mfactory 5.46 for a few months now and would recommend it to everyone. I do a LOT of m'way miles as use car as daily and it's not too much, well not for me anyway. The pros definitely out weigh the cons.

To give you an idea, 70mph is about 4,300 rpm but tbh mpg hasn't really changed. I've just been amazed with the 5th and 6th pull now, it's more akin to 4th and 5th. 2nd and 3rd is brutal, especially with 260hp lol

tricker Luke has a 5.1 so he can talk about that one but IMO if you want to explore a different FD, then 5.1 is too subtle and the 5.46 just puts a smile on your face. I think people have been a little nervous going for something as aggressive as a 5.46 for everyday use so have typically stuck with a 5.1 but trust me it's not that bad!

On the track, well I'm speechless, it's just epic :D

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Think that's being a bit optimistic but they say good for 25% extra "equivalent" torque so guess my 260hp motor with 181ft would be more akin to a k24 now.

To give you an idea, my mate Luke as a stroked 2.2 with a 5.1 and were matched.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
I don't disagree with you at all Dan. Good to hear a trusted alternative experience.
What I didn't explicitly state was the droning level of course depends on your exhaust (mani and catback) setup. With my exhaust setup, 75 is about the limit before it gets droney with a 5.1FD.
If I had a twinloop for example, this would be a lot higher. It depends. But because of this, shouldn't be assumed to be great for everyone.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Thanks for the advice...I do like the sound of having it done. Anyone mind telling me how much it cost to have it fitted? I imagine its a big job.
Having seen Tegiwa's 10% off today and tomorrow I'm torn between this and the RRC inlet manifold =/ ha

Gareth88

Advanced Member
P.s I have a Twin Loop and Mugen intake so I don't think ill have to worry too much about noise hopefully

dotty

Advanced Member
Do you have kpro? If no then RRC is out of the question.

If you haven't got kpro I'd look at getting that along with an RBC/RRC fitted at the same time (header is also ideal). I'd see how you get on with that before diving straight in with getting a different final drive.

If you are adamant on getting it done then time it so it's inline with a clutch change.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
I haven't got Kpro but Ive done some reading and there are a few people on here that run inlet manifolds without it, spoken to a friend who tunes cars, he said I can get away with fitting all the bolt on's I want and then get the car mapped
People advising against this?

dotty

Advanced Member
I'd not run anything more than a catback and intake without mapping personally.

The OEM ecu can compensate for such changes but anything more (inlet manifold and header) and you are potentially setting a time bomb off with your engine.

This is what many tuners have told me and some of the best in the business too over the ten years I've been involved with Type R's.

You're best off buying all your bits and hoarding them, once you've got all your bits then head off to a tuner and get fitted and mapped. The difference will be night and day.

dotty

Advanced Member
See this thread around page 7 where I get the car mapped.

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21148-type-r-number-8-mased/page__st__120

I had all the bits saved up and waited.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Yeah I had thought of doing this... It's just having the funds to get it all done and more so the patience and will power to hold off on fitting the mods ha...I'd be hording parts for an age trying to get save for them all. But If its highly likely to screw the engine then it's better to wait =/ sadly ha

dotty

Advanced Member
See my post above.

I had my header and other bits a while, the hardest bit is sourcing a used kpro. If I were you I'd have the funds ready and waiting for that and then I would buy a header and RBC etc.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Cheers for the advice, Would Kpro make much off a difference to just a cat back and intake?