first really comfy....now feels crashy?

truupR

Advanced Member
Noticed a change in the 'teg since ive had it for this short time. When I first got it - everything felt really tight and the car drove and felt really nice on the road even over the sh*tty roads I've now exposed it to. When I first took it down the missus's house where they've recently laid 3 different sections of 3 red tarmac 'strips' to make you aware of your speed. Now they've only been recently laid and in my previous 197 F1 going over them was horrendous to the point where if there was a car infront you could see the light beam from my car bounce rapidly up and down.

When I first got the teg and went over said bumps, i braced myself for impact, arse cheeks clenched annnnnddd... it was like they were a 10th of the size. The car rode over 'em really really nice and seemed to absorb the difference in road surface sublimely!

Now cut to 2 weeks down the line and I went back to these bumps and they feel horrific! you could now see the bounce on the lights again like in my previous car and I swear I can also hear a slight rattling coming from the front end now :(

This a sign that perhaps a suspension spring has snapped or something?? (drop links? clutching at straws here, know nothing about cars) The car just doesn't feel as 'tight' anymore on the road, seems much more rattly and doesn't seem to be riding over the bumps in the roads well at all.

any clues before I take it to a garage?

dc55_11

Advanced Member
I had a similiar experience and was diagnosed with Engine Mount so could be similiar to yours as well

truupR

Advanced Member
hmmm any other tests I can run to confirm this? I've had a snapped engine mount before and it was verrrrrrrry noticable if I just tapped the accelerator for a second and came off it. When I hit the pedal the engine would lift out and 'knock' and then as soon as I took my foot off you could hear another thud of the engine dropping back down. This was on a focus however so no idea if this applies to a jap performance car :D

Riz

Advanced Member
Don't mean to sound patronising but are you sure you're not just driving faster?

I used to drive down the bad roads round here at about 15 mph, but have sped up a bit now I'm used to the crashy-ness.

truupR

Advanced Member
Riz said:
Don't mean to sound patronising but are you sure you're not just driving faster?

I used to drive down the bad roads round here at about 15 mph, but have sped up a bit now I'm used to the crashy-ness.
hahaha nah I suppose its a normal thing to ask. I usually hit the bumps around 20mph as going any faster in my previous car felt like all 4 of the wheels were going to be torn off. They're not even bumps to slow you down as such - just to make you aware of your speed. I'd say the roads have got worse but when I first went over them 2 weeks ago the car just rode over them so smoothly. Yesterday I hit them at an identical speed and they felt a hundred times worse :/

There's also a road that I have to drive down every day and it's possibly one of the most uneven roads about. For the first week or so I could drive down it at 25/30mph with no problems, and the car felt comfy like it was absorbing the bumps, but now even at 20mph it just seems really crashy and I can hear rattling coming from the front end :(

dc55_11

Advanced Member
Sounds exactly like my problem buddy, I took it to TGM and they said it was a broken engine mount , you gotta remember that these cars are much more reinforced than a focus and so on so the feeling wouldn't be that disastrous but definately noticeable.