First service quote?

Jemmy

Advanced Member
Hi all,

So got my baby in March already done 13k in her, so decided it was time for a service considering I've no idea when the last owner did one. :-/
So basically I'm not 100% sure what I should really be getting done. I've done a search but just looking for your advice anyway, should I def get new plugs what kind?! Bit lost if I'm honest & don't want my pocket being raped either!

Quoted for longlife oil and Honda Genuine filter, ITG airfilter and plugs it works out at €320 or a synthetic oil, spurious oil filter and oem air filter for about €240?

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
I did a 12k service and replaced the plugs, air filter, oil filter, pollen filter and oil change. Don't worry about the fuel filter...

I used a Hamp oil filter, the NGK Iridium IX plugs and Mobil 1 5W-30 oil. I did it myself and to be honest I doubt I'll ever pay for a service like that again now. Got the Air and Pollen filters straight from Honda. In total I think it cost me just over £100 but half of that is the oil... Hardest parts are changing the oil filter and the oil.

320 euro for a service would literally bankrupt me if I had to pay that the amount I drive!

Jemmy

Advanced Member
Do ye buy parts online & get the shipped to you or just buy from a local motor factors?

Jemmy

Advanced Member
Cheers, I'll have a nosey around and see where seems to be the best place to order online. Considering doing it myself now I've been offered a helping hand from someone show me how but it's just sourcing the parts that I need to try do! Lol total noob to this, can ya tell! HAHA

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
I think I got my bits from Jap Performance Parts... But I can't really remember. And you think you're a total noob? Trust me, I was amatuer at best, but with someone who can show you what to do and tell you to be careful not to drop the sump plug in the oil (and then you go and drop it anyway!) you'll do fine! :xcheers:

Highly recommend the Iridium IX spark plugs, although they probably make no difference at all... New Part Syndrome and all that!

Seriously though, I had no clue what I was doing, only ever worked on my old Astras and the Teg is so precious to me I didn't want to hurt her! Lol. Managed just fine, but do make sure you've got one of those tools for getting the oil filter off... Made life a lot easier!!

Bryn

Hi all,

So got my baby in March already done 13k in her, so decided it was time for a service considering I've no idea when the last owner did one. :-/
So basically I'm not 100% sure what I should really be getting done. I've done a search but just looking for your advice anyway, should I def get new plugs what kind?! Bit lost if I'm honest & don't want my pocket being raped either!

Quoted for longlife oil and Honda Genuine filter, ITG airfilter and plugs it works out at €320 or a synthetic oil, spurious oil filter and oem air filter for about €240?
Who was that quote with? I presume Urban seeing as they are trying to sell you the ITG Airfilter.

A HAMP (Honda After Market Parts.....i.e. as good/better than Honda parts. I have read reports that state they increase oil pressure, but not sure if I believe it) oil filter is only a tenner. Decent oil is only about 50 - 60 euro. Air filter is cheap also. If you are putting standard plugs in, you could have all the parts for 120 euro I'd say. A mechanic will do all that for you as a nixer for 50 euro if you get the parts yourself. Approx 170 is a hell of a lot less than 320 or even 240!

I personally wouldn't spend that kind of cash. I can get that work done for you by my mate Shane as a nixer for a hell of a lot less if you want, and he is a very good mechanic. Just let me know

Bryn

get the gearbox oil changed aswell
Gotta agree with ya on this one. As you have stated, you don't know what the owner did to the car before you had it, so it could be a long time since the gearbox oil was changed. If the gearbox oil isn't changed, it turns to crap, basically like water instead of oil, and doesn't lubricate when changing gears which can lead to damage.

As you said to me earlier, you are planning a trackday or 2, so bare in mind that after a decent trackday, you will probably want to do another oil change