fitting a drop in filter and doing the hondata mod guide

Martctr

Advanced Member
Couldn't find the info I wanted when I first thought about doing the above so here's a guide and my findings. Maybe we need a how to section?

My car was completly stock so I was thinking of starting with gruppem, but that's on hold as I wanted a few other bits done and funds are limited so gruppem will have to wait.
The Filter

I opted for the K&N for the simple reason that it's well priced (around £50) and is easy to service using the cleaning kit. The filters listed as a Civic type R part number E-2429.

Hondata Mod

Using the info found at http://www.hondata.com/techkseriesairboxmod.html I set about doing tha first part of the mod. Wasn't sure about cutting the outside of the box though. Please feel free to comment on if the cutting of the outside is worth while.

First step was the easy part of removing the airbox. Just a mattter of undoing a few bolts and lifting out.

Next I used a Dremmel with a heavy duty cutting disc that I found at B&Q for about £10. Using the hondata picture for reference I set about cutting into the inside of the box. The dremmel was melting through the plastic so there was less mess than trying to cut with a blade. Due to how easy it was to cut through the thick plastic I had it all done within ten mins including smoothing any rough edges. Took more time cleaning all the tiny bits of plastic out of the box.

Results

Of course the improvement is going to be hard to feel, but what about noise? I have the OEM exhaust and I have to say it's not made much difference. VTEC sounds better, but this is hard to capture on film as it's not that noticable IMO.

Total cost = £65
Time = about an hour although remember to check the airfeed is firmly back in place as mine wasn't and I couldn't change into third :roll: had to stop and mess around putting it back in the dark by the side of the road.

Next? I want more noise so it's time to look at changing the exhaust.

[/b]

sinbad

Advanced Member
I can hear the difference. Im sure its much clearer in the car but for £65 and abit of graft it isnt bad. Sounds like it growls abit more, especially in vtec.

Martctr

Advanced Member
sinbad said:
I can hear the difference. Im sure its much clearer in the car but for £65 and abit of graft it isnt bad. Sounds like it growls abit more, especially in vtec.
Yeah, the higher the revs the better the car sounds. Before VTEC there is no real difference in sound.

dazza

Advanced Member
I did this about a year ago and I could hear the differance on mine.
I'll be using a 5Zigen intake with this mod for more of a ram effect eventually so get plenty of cool air in there :D

Gunn79

Advanced Member
I carried this mod out on mine, but kept with the OE filter. I didnt have a Dremel, so used my trusty angle grinder! :lol: I did spend quite a bit of time smoothing the cut edges, and the finished result ion mine looks like it could have come from the factory. 8)

I also cut the plastic 'tube' back further where the air initially enters the box. It was the second one I have done as I did the same on my EP3.

Good work with the guide 8)

Evs

Advanced Member
Excellent 'how-to', thanks for posting that xthumbup

Edit: worth a sticky imho 8)

Gunn79

Advanced Member
Here is a side by side comparisson from when I did the mod on my old EP3;

My DC5 one is better still 8)

jay82

Advanced Member
i've just done this and i've cleared alot more out of the box and reshape the inside, i'll try get pics up 2m.