Fitting aftermarket HID's

premadonna555

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

Read various threads about HID's, managed to work out why my DC5 doesn't have them and is just running Halogens. But if i want to put HID's back in then is it just as simple as rewiring the balast box (if it's still there) to some HID bulbs, or do i need a full kit from ebay/hids4u and does this need an auto electrician to fit or is it DIY?

I guess my concern is that if the HID's have been bypassed to get it through the SVA, then is everything still likely to be there, or will it have been ripped out?

Thanks for any help/advice.

LeeH

Advanced Member
I would guess it would just the bulbs that have been removed.

You can buy retro fit kits off eGay for £40ish so that would be the best option.

I have one in the van and its fine. They are also very easy to fit.

You will need the d2r kit irc.

Lee

mikegsi

Staff member
some tegs didnt have hids fitted, but yes they tend to be removed for the esva, something to do with auto washing or levelling of them

premadonna555

Advanced Member
Yeah that's right, to be road legal in the uk HID's must have washer jets. Bizarre but true.

So the ebay kit is just the bulbs, or does that include all the balasts too? Where do these get wired to, just the standard headlight wiring?

M6DLY

Advanced Member
premadonna555 said:
Yeah that's right, to be road legal in the uk HID's must have washer jets. Bizarre but true.
Would that not be picked up on an MOT? Because I've just got through mine without lighting problems...

JohnnyC

M6DLY said:
premadonna555 said:
Would that not be picked up on an MOT? Because I've just got through mine without lighting problems...
"Apparently" (don't quote me), it's only a requirement of law for the manufacturers to fit washers & auto-leveling for HIDs.

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
IIRC it's something to do with EC98 regulations, and light output. Because of their light output HID's require washers and autolevelling.

However, this is only checked under Construction and Use regs, so only gets picked up at SVA. Once the car is on the road there is nobody really to check, MoT test only checks that they work and are aimed appropriately.

wrightyrs

Advanced Member
Take the bumper off and the ballast units are mounted to the under side of the light units with 3 screws.

premadonna555

Advanced Member
micchung you're a star, thanks very much. Not the best with electronics at the best of times, but going blind is even worse.

Cheers, MUCH appreciated!