Fitting cams etc or 5psi Jackson Racing Supercharger

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
Hi everyone

Just need some peoples views and experience if any regarding this matter. At the moment with my car ive done quite a few modifcations already with my car this is the spec:

Full Spoon Exhaust system
KPRO
Group M Induction Kit
HKS Iridium Spark Plugs
Mugen Low Temperature Thermostat switch and thermostat
Buddyclub N+ coilovers
Spoon strut braces front and rear
Whiteline Rear Anti roll bar
Es Mounts and bushes
Rear Camber Adjusters

And now i want more power!! Im thinking of getting maybe Buddyclub cams,valve springs,rbc intake manifold and changing the head gasket. But i still cant decide whether to go NA or Supercharge it. Ive been doing searches on all forums and i know alot of people have said its expensive to go NA and i wont get as much power whereas charging it would be less and i gain more power.

The only problem is, are chargers reliable as i use my car daily to and from work also i intend to keep my car for a while. I know that with cams it will still stay NA, how Honda designed the engine for. And maybe it will be more reliable for daily use?

The power figures for my car now is 240 at the fly. If i went the NA route ive been told it would probably give me maybe 270 were as charging it would give me maybe up to 300?? :?

What's peoples views or advice would you give me?? :x

mikegsi

Staff member
Charging it will inevitably break it, it's not designed for FI, don't get me wrong it will cope, but I can think of 2 mods who went down that route, one regretted it and the buyer of the other one did soon after he bought it

I would go with toda cams though, they have a proven track record over many years with the dc5, you'll get good gains together with an rbc intake

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
This has been covered many times on here and the civic forum. Basically, either way will shorten the lifespan of the engine. I'm running 330 HP with a Rotrex charger and charge cooler kit and I haven't had any problems and use it as my daily driver aswell. There isn't the room for any cooling with the Jackson charger which is why I didn't go for that as I've heard they can get quite hot. Although many people run them with the 9 psi pulley and have no problems, also as a daily driver. The 5 psi kit will probably only give you 270/280 ish BHP (so no worries with the heat), but the torque throughout the rev range will be much better than you will get with cams, RBC etc. I'm not saying a charger is better than cams as it is each to their own. I debated between the two options for ages and finally decided on the charger as it was the cheapest option for the power I wanted.

HTH

pudski

Advanced Member
I have had the JRSC fitted for 2 and a half years now and done 23,000 miles.
Running 7psi and had no problems, just make sure it is mapped correctly :wink:

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
Thanks for replying back with advice and info. anymore keep them coming :D

ive been reading abit on the rsx forums where they fit alot of chargers on their cars and alot of people there are having problems for eg..belt,pulley,brackets etc... surely with N/A its going to be much more reliable and can take the extra power?

Has anyone else on here done more than 27k miles with a jackson charger and had no problems etc...

Also how do charger owners find it to drive in the wet when you thottle it?? Ive read stories where alot of owners cant keep the power down in 1st and 2nd gear due to the huge amount of power on the front wheels. :?

phil r

Advanced Member
What about buddyclub race engine , apparantly bit of a animal keep vtec , na , but get booted in the back on vtec change over :xyes:

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
phil r said:
What about buddyclub race engine , apparantly bit of a animal keep vtec , na , but get booted in the back on vtec change over :xyes:
I bet these arent cheap :?

JT3173

Advanced Member
TypeRKid said:
phil r said:
I bet these arent cheap :?
Guys as some of you know I have handed over my DC5 to the guys at Buddy Club with a mission brief which was to spec my engine to the following spec, Paul Hughes will correct me if I am wrong at any point on the spec and you should note that the Demo car may run a slightly differnt spec to what I have chosen as extra's, clutch, flywheel, intake manifold etc:

:arrow: OEM un-linered overbored K20 block
:arrow: +1.5 pistons
:arrow: Standard rods
:arrow: BuddyClub development engine clearances and machining
:arrow: Standard head casting with all BuddyClub head parts
:arrow: Buddy Club cams
:arrow: Buddy Club drop in sump baffle
:arrow: Buddy Club prototype CAI system (they are including the anti hydrolock roof mouted system FOC too ;) )
:arrow: RBC intake mani (slightly modded I believe)
:arrow: RC 440cc injectors
:arrow: OEM Clutch
:arrow: Ultralite flywheel
:arrow: Full balance of crank
:arrow: It runs a 13.5:1 compression on normal fuel
:idea: (I may run the Buddy Club 70mm throttle body too)

:!: I currently have fitted to the car, Hondata KPRO, Toda Racing manifold, full Buddy Club Pro Spec exhaust.

They offer engine conversions for around £3k which depends of the condition of your engine and what you want doing to it which I think is a bargin for this sort of power whilst staying N/A and still at the 2 litre mark, just a tad over.

Short of getting your engine stroked or putting all the stuff in bought from other sources and not seeing the gains as has happened on here before I cannot see a better way to acheive this level of performnce that I am sure could worry a S/C DC5 on a track.

I did want to get my car supercharged but due to insurance issues I could not. After receiving good sound advice from members on here who have had bad costly experiences with them I am glad I have chosen to stay N/A.
But I do beleive that you would still be ok at low boost with a quality map but then I have to ask what is the point in a S/C.
Plus the Buddy Club Demo car produces the same amount of tourqe as a S/C DC5 :!: :!: 8)

Pudski, I have been in your car, totally mind blowing performance, you must have a damn good map in your car!
I hope you manage many more trouble free miles in her with the set up you have :)

Just my thoughts on this topic ;)

celox performance

Advanced Member
I've been thinking for a while now about charging my Teg, but from what i've heard they can be unreliable and not very driveable on a track :?

I know someone from this forum (mentioning no names) who had a charged Teg and he had to let me past on track :lol: . I've only got 245bhp BTW and he had over 300bhp.

JT3173

Advanced Member
celox performance said:
I've been thinking for a while now about charging my Teg, but from what i've heard they can be unreliable and not very driveable on a track :?

I know someone from this forum (mentioning no names) who had a charged Teg and he had to let me past on track :lol: . I've only got 245bhp BTW and he had over 300bhp.
And they do generate an great deal of heat on the track too!

I think charge cooling is expensive and not available for the JRSC at the moment, but it is for the Rotrex............

I saw a JRSC'd EP3 on the Ring last year, he got a little too hot and did the rest of his final lap on a truck :oops:

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Hey JT do you need to Have any modifications done before you handed your Teg over to buddy club.

I am now thinking about trying to leave the car standard until i save enough up to hand it over to them?

Would this be a better idea rather than spending money on mods that i would just have to change anyway?

JT3173

Advanced Member
thomsojf said:
Hey JT do you need to Have any modifications done before you handed your Teg over to buddy club.

I am now thinking about trying to leave the car standard until i save enough up to hand it over to them?

Would this be a better idea rather than spending money on mods that i would just have to change anyway?
Hi Jonny,

Yes, I did, intake, exhaust, KPRO, manifold but so as not to totally hijack this thread I have posted the stuff up on your Faster Faster thread.

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23747&start=15

;)

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
I considered getting this Buddyclub conversion done on my engine when I put it into an Elise, as I'm debating whether a Rotrex, charged cooled engine might be too much for a 700 kg car. Got quoted £3500 + vat. As much as I would like this it is too much money. You can get a full Rotrex conversion with charge cooler for the same price. I've decided to keep my charger and charge cooler and maybe just increase the size of the pulley to try and get 6 psi instead of 8. Plus, although the conversion makes near supercharger torque, the shape of the curve is completely different, only peaking near supercharger levels, whereas the levels are more linear with the supercharger. I'm not saying the buddyclub conversion isn't going to be good, as I'm sure it will be alot of fun, but as I've already paid £4k for my charger conversion I can't warrant the extra cost.

Also, the Rotrex conversion with charge cooler will go on all day without any worries of overheating and I don't have any issues with traction (Well, no more than I had when it was n/a).

TypeRKid, If you need any more info on my Rotrex conversion, just pm me.

fonz600

Advanced Member
It is possible to run a cooler with JRSC on a DC5 but it's not common knowledge.

A highly tuned N/A engine will still put lots of stress on the engine too. Your better off checking out the ClubRSX site as there are way more numbers on there that have done it all from supercharging/turbo charging to full N/A 2.4 builds.

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
Ive asked Mark @ Unit 8 to quote me on the different cams that are available for the DC5. Probably will just stick to NA as it seems the safer option for long term, as i do intend to keep my car for a while. Buddyclub cams seem good for power and price. Alot of people have said Toda cams are better but i cant justify to paying the price for them but will have to see what the price difference is between them when i get my quote of him, if there isnt i might get Toda.

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
Still debating on the matter of which route to choose :(

Been speaking to a really good friend of mine who's got a civic type r and he's got me in two minds now of either charging it or go NA route.

How come DC5 owners on this forum dont recommend Supercharging the DC5 whereas on the CIVIC TYPE R forum their all saying its better charging their cars as its more power and value for money??? :?

ps2lord5

Advanced Member
jemmy go charged mate

bang for buck you wont get better

n/a is expensive for the gains as you know,camed up cars arnt good on the juice either

with my ctr running 260 bhp with toda a2 i was getting around 160-180 miles to a tank normal driving if i was very carefull id get 200

not sure if supercharged car would be any better mate

up to you though mate
damo

JT3173

Advanced Member
ps2lord5 said:
jemmy go charged mate

n/a is expensive for the gains as you know,camed up cars arnt good on the juice either

with my ctr running 260 bhp with toda a2 i was getting around 160-180 miles to a tank normal driving if i was very carefull id get 200

up to you though mate
damo
with my ctr running 260 bhp with toda a2 i was getting around 160-180 miles to a tank normal driving if i was very carefull id get 200 .......................................... your having a laugh mate, serious :eek:

I will have to try and better this I think!! :lol:

Jayk

Advanced Member
You've had your DC5 for ages matey, im suprised you havent already added extra power. I think you need to consider what your driving style is like and how you want your car to be focused, for the road or the track.

I debated this so many times, and its not an easy choice.

Personally i think if your an agressive driver, and more track focused, and really like the VTEC power band, then cams would be better suited.

If your going to use the car everyday, want power without having to come down gears and really abuse the car, and more so on the road, then a charger may suit you.

Have you driven a car with cams or a charger? I think thats what you should be doing first before making your mind up.

The way i drove my DC5's i would have Cams, as i like to rev the nuts of it and work the gear box, and was more favoured for A/B Roads / Track, bends etc than right our speed.

I deffo think you should drive them first, i think around a track or the twistys theres not much between them, ive destoryed a Charged DC5 around a track in mine running same tyres, springs only where the otherone was coilovers, and only 230hp rather than 280hp. Its all about what works for you, i wouldnt really look into figures too much as it may distort your thinking.

Best of luck anyhows.

Jay

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
ps2lord5 said:
jemmy go charged mate

up to you though mate
damo
Hi Damo,

Thanks for the advice matey. Yeah i know going the NA route will be expensive. When you had your ctr what other mods did you have and did you have it all mapped up with Kpro?? And you were only getting that much to the mpg?? A few people ive heard said having cams,rbc,kpro and tuned properly made more mpg?? :?