Fitting Front & Rear Speakers

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
Got these for my birthday recently. Chose them cos I don't really fancy fitting an amp, and these are designed to work off head unit power.

Front - Alpine SPE-17CS:

Rear - Alpine SPE-17C2:

Also partly chose the speakers cos they have a hard plastic ring instead of metal. So was able to cut a little of the ring around the rear speakers to fit in the back nicely. Left one cut and right one marked for cutting:

This is how my door looked once I had removed the Gathers speaker that was there - I don't know if these plastic housings are always there:

Had to cut some MDF rings to let the speakers fit into the plastic housing. Screwed the new speakers through the MDF to the plastic housing:

Removed the tweeter grilles from the top of the dash. Expected to find some tweeters there - but nothing. The new Alpine tweeters glued into the grilles nicely and clipped back in.

Just got to wire up the crossovers and test it out. Job for tomorrow as it is pi**ing down here now :( [/img]

phil r

Advanced Member
fitting front & rearspeakers

Had this set up fitted by mobile radio in exeter great sound quality recomended me a small pioneer amp under the seat just to finish off but not had amp fitted yet & yes my car didn't have tweeters fitted either but very happy with it as is especially with alpine head unit xthumbup

dave c

400hp K20
I also did essentially the same, no pics im afraid but basically did what andy did, modified the plastic ring and dynamat'd however i actually did the whole door. also i put my tweeters in a differant place but thats by-the-by.

i would reccommend taking all of the plastic sheeting stuff off the doors and away from the back of the speakers i tried it "with" first and it sounded rubbish so i tried it again "without" any of it and its sounds SO much cleaner.

Also, i would amp them if i were you ;)

LeeH

Advanced Member
^^^ They are not worth amping IMO.

The 'E' types are at the lower end of the Alpine range and are primarily designed as direct OEM replacement.

Wouldn't have been my 1st choice as the OEM Gathers are a very good speaker. I think they must have been a factory upgrade because not every one has the Gathers as stock.

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
Thanks for the comments guys.

Will get some Dynamat and put some on the door.

Mine had the Gathers SatNav so probably why it had Gathers speakers too. They may not be too bad, but proper components with tweeters up front will surely be a fair bit better? Looking forward to getting it fired up tomorrow hopefully :D

LeeH

Advanced Member
Yes mate, comps are better...thought you had the OE tweeters too........

I use eDead of eBay for inside. Its not as thick at the dyna matt but its a lot cheaper if you're on a budget.

RE the comment about taking the plastic of the door. Don't. You really need to be blocking up the holes, not making more. eDead lite was used for this as I messed up the order but luckily it was better to use for this anyhow.

Look here at how to 'matt' the doors.

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=30

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
Fitted some Dynamat around the speakers as suggested and wired them up. Sounds great until the door cards are fitted :( Must be just too close to the back of the plastic grille - when the volume is turned up a bit it vibrates off the back of it.

Will need to revise my setup. Thinking of either ditching the plastic bit and just mounting the mdf rings straight to the door, or butchering the plastic further and using thinner mdf.

LeeH

Advanced Member
Bin the plastic mate and use the MDF rings you made. They will be a lot less prone to vibration.

Evs

Advanced Member
The door cards have some 'tubes' of plastic in the back of them that point towards the speakers - these can foul on the rubber speaker rings and/or the cones which will mess up the sound. Try trimming these off or use some slimmer mounts to move the speakers closer to the inner door skin to give some more clearance.

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
Evs said:
The door cards have some 'tubes' of plastic in the back of them that point towards the speakers - these can foul on the rubber speaker rings and/or the cones which will mess up the sound. Try trimming these off
Already did that cos it looked like they might foul something. My screwheads stick out quite a bit. May try just using a countersunk screw first before I rip everything out.

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
OK changed the screws holding the speakers to countersunk ones, and countersunk them into the plastic speaker ring. Then got a surform thingy and worked away at the honeycomb speaker grille set into the door skin. Took a good 4-5mm off the inside face of it, maybe more in the centre cos it's a bit concave, and it worked a treat :D

Quite impressed with the speakers. Considering they're being driven off head unit power (and a no name poor quality h/u at that) they sound pretty good 8)