Fitting lowering springs....

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
OK so I'm going to be fitting my Eibach Pro kit and cambers adjusters this weekend. Has anyone got a guide or any tips for me?

I know I can work it out for myself but its always easier to do something if you're pointed in the right direction to start :) I'm sure lots of you have changed the springs.

The car is booked in at TGM for a geo the week after :D

Cheers all,
Nick

dazza

Advanced Member
The only tip i can give you is make sure you use spring compressors when taking the old springs off and make sure their fitted correctly and holding the spring right, the last thing you want is a spring coming at you at full force.
This is only from previous cars i've lowered as not done the Teg, going to be my next job on mine.
Just for some info for me, how much did you get your springs and adjusters for?
How much is the geometry set up going to be on it's own?
Are you taking to Tom to set up?

Another tip is put copper grease on bolts and threads on the adjusters, just makes future work if needed that much easier :D

DC5TU

Advanced Member
IIRC Geo is about £80
Camber adjusters are about £100 for the rear arms and about £25 for the front bolts
Springs are about £170 ish

Sure if you got it all set up and fitted at toms he'd give you a bit of discount

dazza

Advanced Member
DC5TU said:
IIRC Geo is about £80
Camber adjusters are about £100 for the rear arms and about £25 for the front bolts
Springs are about £170 ish

Sure if you got it all set up and fitted at toms he'd give you a bit of discount
I got a quote of about 450 all in from Tom.
Just wondered if i could save some money fitting myself. Forgot to ask Tom how much if i fitted the springs etc.
Looks like from the prices you quoted could save myself about 60-70 quid

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Itll prob be 45 mins - 1hr to fit them and 45 mins to 1hr or so for GEO

At £45 an hour labour, £450 all in sounds about right!

If i were you id let tom do it, as he has all the tools there, a ramp, and the expertise!

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Those prices are about right. I did get them a little cheaper through a contact and managed to source a 2nd set of Ingalls camber arms 8)

Tom charges approx £42 per hour and he said its about 2.5hrs worth of work (I cant remember if that is including VAT or not)

I've got spring compressors from a previous car I lowered so I'm sure I can manage this one.

Yep car is getting setup by Tom on 14th June :D

DC5TU

Advanced Member
£42 + Vat for toms labour

good luck mate, hopefully it wont be a million miles out of alignment and geo will not tkae long!

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
DC5TU said:
£42 + Vat for toms labour

good luck mate, hopefully it wont be a million miles out of alignment and geo will not tkae long!
Cheers mate. I'm going to measure the arms and try keep things as close to standard until it gets geo'd a week later

timp

Advanced Member
don't want to start any argument but really how hard is it to fit springs Tom must be laughing all the wy to the bank the amount of work we put his way.

OK i guess some people don't have the time or the equipment and place to do it.

Is the camber gonna be that far out on a minimal drop on springs after all i'm guessing these springs will probably be a little stiffer and thus the lowest point of travel is gonna be around the same place?

has anyone fitted just springs and gone for geom and found the camber is that much out???

Evs

Advanced Member
:?

2.5 hours to take the struts off all four corners, compress struts and remove/refit springs, and refit struts to car is pretty good going, to be fair.

And then only charging £42/hour ie £100ish for the job done is great value imho.

Yes people have fitted Spoon springs and it does knock the geo out. I personally wouldn't do it without fitting adjusters.

dazza

Advanced Member
DC5TU said:
Itll prob be 45 mins - 1hr to fit them and 45 mins to 1hr or so for GEO

At £45 an hour labour, £450 all in sounds about right!

If i were you id let tom do it, as he has all the tools there, a ramp, and the expertise!
Thinking about it, it would probably wiser to let him do it.
Where as it would take me probably a day to do it, so won't be worth the hassle.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
timp said:
don't want to start any argument but really how hard is it to fit springs Tom must be laughing all the wy to the bank the amount of work we put his way.

OK i guess some people don't have the time or the equipment and place to do it.
That includes fitting the camber arms and bolts. I cant praise TGM enough for their work and help and their prices are always more than reasonable :!:

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
dazza said:
Where as it would take me probably a day to do it, so won't be worth the hassle.
I dont believe in paying someone for something that I can do myself :wink: Plus I get more satisfaction out of doing it :D

dazza

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
dazza said:
I dont believe in paying someone for something that I can do myself :wink: Plus I get more satisfaction out of doing it :D
I know what you mean mate but I also seem to be getting a bit lazy in my old age :wink: :lol:
Be sure to put up your opinion on the results.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I think you can do springs without compressors they are not too long as std, i beleive i pushed the spring down and was able to remove the nut without it twanging off, i would put the compressors on but as a holding device and give it a wirl.

timp

Advanced Member
if you don't have compressors you can hire them from tool hire shops for about £5 a day

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Whats the deal with the plastic tubing around half of the springs? Is this just packaging I remove??

Cheers