Fitting new exhaust - what parts/gaskets to replace

klone

Hi all,

Bought a buddy club spec 4 exhaust last few days and wanted to order anything I should be replacing whilst im at it. Searched around here and there seems to be 101 different answers so just wondering if someone can advise what I should order from Honda? Ive seen people say gaskets only, some say some nuts and bolts!? haha

Cheers!

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I changed my exhaust a few months back.

All I needed was new gaskets, which I got from tegiwa for a few quid. You may need new rubber exhaust mounts if yours are perished, but unlikely.

Its all dependent of the condition of your current exhaust bud. Your bolts might be rusted so they might need replacing too if they snap when you taken them off.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
that will be because every exhaust will require different fixings and gasgets etc. if the flanges are flat, you will just need a flat gasket or some exhaust paste stuff, ...... if on to the gaskets has a bit sticking out, and a recess on the other mating end, then a donut gasket will be required. Some need springs, some don't.

I would contact Paul Hughes, (cant remember the company name though,) but he is a member on here. He is a supplier of Buddy Club products over here so will know what it should come with if you were buying new. Never know, he may even supply a kit.

Chelt_scene

Advanced Member
I had a spec 4 aren't they slip fit so you'll need the gasket that goes into the manifold which is a 3 bolt one and I used some sealant in the slip fit with a exhaust u clamp

klone

seller said id need a manifold > B pipe gasket but if im 100% honest im so new to the DC5 im useless! haha. Buddyclub UK couldn't help as they don't import the spec 4 :(

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Thats ok. :) we were all the same once.

Manifold will come from the engine, backbox is the bit that sticks out the back making the noise, and the bpipe will be the bit joining the two in the middle. You can get gaskets that fit between the manifold and bpipe, but ive changed my exhaust setup a few times and i have been fine with using gun gum exhaust paste from halfords for years with no leaks :)

Buy the sounds of things the bpipe will slip inside the backbox pipework rather than having a flange as such. (Joining plate kinda of thing) the clamp that chelt scene was describing will hold the two pipes together :) (one inside the other) with abit of paste inside again just to seal it.

If your bpipe hasn't been removed for some time though you will definitely benefit from a ramp for ease of access, or taking it to a garage of some description. It will be a swine on the driveway. Lol

The only bolts you will need to get replacements of just incase would be the three studs and nuts that go on to the manifold. You may find cutting the old off is the only way. Cheap enough from honda. Part numbers are in the part numbers thread near the feont if I remember correctly :)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Thats a pic for the DC2, but it could well be a three peice cat back on the DC5 too. Im not sure

All it means though is the bpipe is split in two. This will replace everything from the cat (at the bottom of the manifold) to the back of the car. No different really, just another slip joint to clamp as you say. :)

klone

Doh I knew that didn't look right. That'll teach me not to read the blurb eh!

just seen it is 100% a two piece and its just the one three bolt gasket, which I was told by the seller but I always like to check before I try and fit things! :)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
No worries :)

Like i said, may be worth getting the three replacement studs and nuts too as the ones on the car may be seized to buggery. For the sake of a couple of quid, cut the old nuts/ studs off, and refresh with new. :)

klone

100% going to go with that,I know from experience with EP3s, a lot of people just use grade 3 stainless nuts and bolts from a hardware shop instead! bit pikey but works haha