Fitting OEM track rods

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hi

I have put some area Motorsport track rods on my car along with a rack riser. But now I want to go back to OEM. I have the parts but can I do this without taking the rack back out?

Some step by step instructions would be good. I know Rom done one but that involved removing the rack.

Many thanks

Adam

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
From my experience of doing this painful job, I really don't see any other ways to loosen the track rods and rack riser without sliding out the entire rack. You have very little room to get an adjustable spanner to break loose the track rods on the bulkhead (even with the steering fully turned to the right to give maximum room).

Unless someone out there who uses some special tools to get round this, I would be quite surprised.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I recently fitted the steering rack slider and after struggling for about 2 hours I removed the exhaust manifold and had the arms loosened in 5 minutes!

Otherwise get hold of a crowfoot spanner which allows you to fit a ratchet onto it.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
The bolts will be accessible when removing due to the rack riser being away from the bolts. It's re fitting the OEM that I think I'm going to struggle with as the fitting is so close to the bolts.

Removing the manifold is a good idea though. Will look at that. 👍🏻

2ndy

Advanced Member
Remove the steering arms first then the bolts are quite easy to get at

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Yes the only reason for removing the manifold is to have access for the adjustable wrenches to undo the steering arms. Hold one on the bracket and the other on either arm.