Fitting strut brace

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all,

My new insurance has kicked in so I'm going to finally look at fitting my Mugen front strut brace.

Now I know it's as simple as jack the car up, undo the 6 bolts and work like hell to get it on but my question is in the pics below you can see some paints chipped.

Can I do anything to prevent moisture here and rust or Fitbit and wait til next year for TGM to address it.

I was thinking maybe some Vaseline, underseal or battery terminal spray or something similar that repels water.

Any ideas on what's best to put on here before fitting gvthe brace and bolts again?

Thanks, Carl

Also and advice on making it a quicker job and please advise if I've kissed anything above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi all,

My new insurance has kicked in so I'm going to finally look at fitting my Mugen front strut brace.

Now I know it's as simple as jack the car up, undo the 6 bolts and work like hell to get it on but my question is in the pics below you can see some paints chipped.

Can I do anything to prevent moisture here and rust or Fitbit and wait til next year for TGM to address it.

I was thinking maybe some Vaseline, underseal or battery terminal spray or something similar that repels water.

Any ideas on what's best to put on here before fitting gvthe brace and bolts again?

Thanks, Carl

Also and advice on making it a quicker job and please advise if I've kissed anything above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to jack the car up at all firstly, just whip the nuts off.

With my J's Racing brace they supplied some spacers that sit under the brace to allow the water/dirt to run out and not get trapped. Just buy some thick washers to go under the brace and then take it off every once in a while to make sure it's clean.

You could also apply some wax to the paint to ensure the water just runs off.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Nothing you can do mate. As soon as you torque up the bolts they'll cut through anything you use.

Easier job though. Jack up from subframe. Undo top mount bolts, put brace on (it's tight as hell), finger tighten as far as possible, drop car, torque up.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Cheers guys. Anyone know the torque settings for those bolts ?

Was only jacking it up to make it easier with se movement being available :)

SamDC5

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Cheers guys. Anyone know the torque settings for those bolts ?
Just tighten up until you feel they're reasonably tight

Midnight

Advanced Member
Take the OEM brace off (if not already off) and use a hardy wax or something like an insulator wax.

DO NOT jack the car up though. Simply remove the 6 bolts (3 either side) and fit in situ. You may also have to remove the turret brace to manovour the new brace around.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Just buy some M10/12 2mm washers and sit them under the brace

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Don‘t jack it up or the suspension will fall out lol. You can keep the OEM one if you wish.
Cheers mate, I assume it's only a fl where you loose the oem one then ;-)

Was it a nightmare to fit as when I last looked it was a very very tight fit and I struggled to get it close which is why I was going to jack it up

Rom

Advanced Member
At the very least, they need to be done up with the car it's it's normal position. Or all the tension will be working against the idea behind the bar.

And as said, you undo those 3 bolts with it jacked up, means the strut can drop out of the turret.

Id 100% keep the oem if possible. Oem uses 4 points of contact, on a fixed bar. Which will out perform an adjustable 2 point. I used to run the ultra racing 4 point. But doesn't clear my J's so back to oem.

Most of the after market ones are for looks. That's not to say there isnt some negligible improvement, but you aren't going to notice it, especially on road.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Rom said:
At the very least, they need to be done up with the car it's it's normal position. Or all the tension will be working against the idea behind the bar.

And as said, you undo those 3 bolts with it jacked up, means the strut can drop out of the turret.

Id 100% keep the oem if possible. Oem uses 4 points of contact, on a fixed bar. Which will out perform an adjustable 2 point. I used to run the ultra racing 4 point. But doesn't clear my J's so back to oem.

Most of the after market ones are for looks. That's not to say there isnt some negligible improvement, but you aren't going to notice it, especially on road.

Cheers mate. Mines a solid genuine mugen (non adjustable) so was looking to keep it and the oem for extra stiffness.

Yeah I planned to jack it up, remove bolts and put in (as then the suspension would have some movement), fit with bolts loose, lower and tighten when in normal position in the floor.

I'll try not to jackbit up but think it's so tight fitting I'll have no alternative.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Don‘t jack it up or the suspension will fall out lol. You can keep the OEM one if you wish.
No it won't twonk. ARB keeps it up.

Rom

Advanced Member
Rom said:

And as said, you undo those 3 bolts with it jacked up, means the strut can drop in the turret a bit.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
You are on coilovers so shorter struts.

On standard struts it's fine.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Rust treat the area, paint to seal it, then wax the paint... That's all you can do really.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks for the replies guys, it's on and looking great. Will remove and get all treated and poss repainted by TGM next year when I'm away again, but until then it's on finally.

Strangely when I tried fitting it with the oem suspension it was really hard to line up but with the mugen suspension sitting differently toeing in and with camber etc it went on easily and straight away with no jacking up needed etc :)