FL vs PFL braces? (mugen brace)

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Is there a difference between the two?

The only reason is I tried a replica mugen brace from a mates pfl dc5, but it didn't fit my facelift dc5? it just seemed a lot shorter?

Anyone shine some light on this?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Do these cars come with engine strut braces as standard? The one I have has one and one in the boot across the bottom but they look like standard jobbies to me, nothing special.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Dc5‘s do come with one standard.

I currently don‘t have a brace as the oem will catch on my mugen intake

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
So the one I have on the front isn't standard then is that what you're saying?

Sorry for spamming your thread Reggie btw!

p1tse

Advanced Member
For aftermarket braces, most being a straight bar I think should fit both fl and PFL, unless it‘s not a complete straight brace

Oem then yes there is a different in design and shape

p1tse

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
So the one I have on the front isn't standard then is that what you're saying?

Sorry for spamming your thread Reggie btw!
If it‘s a black item and also attaches to the bulk head (not sure if that‘s the right word) then it‘s oem

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Hmmm but I‘ve tried doing research n there doesn‘t appear to be an aftermarket front specific to FL‘s or PFL‘s?

I‘m basically looking at a mugen one as no other brace will fit with the intake

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
If it‘s a black item and also attaches to the bulk head (not sure if that‘s the right word) then it‘s oem
Mine is aftermarket then as it's silver. Wonder what makes that is then?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
As Fez said the fronts are different but the rears the same. The front on a PFL can have the OEM black 4 point one (struts to bulkhead) as well as a Mugen one (the setup I have on my car, but the FL I believe you need to remove the OEM one to be able to fit the Mugen or similar ones.

I don't think there is a diff in the size as I am sure John fitted his (but had to remove the oem front one first)

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
As Fez said the fronts are different but the rears the same. The front on a PFL can have the OEM black 4 point one (struts to bulkhead) as well as a Mugen one (the setup I have on my car, but the FL I believe you need to remove the OEM one to be able to fit the Mugen or similar ones.

I don't think there is a diff in the size as I am sure John fitted his (but had to remove the oem front one first)
Yeah I was aware that i wouldn't be able to run both on the FL.

It was more after trying a friends replica one that fitted his PFL, it didn't fit my FL, which i found a bit weird.

So if I do buy a mugen brace or a replica from ebay i just want it to fit. Im not running anything at the moment.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yeah I was aware that i wouldn't be able to run both on the FL.

It was more after trying a friends replica one that fitted his PFL, it didn't fit my FL, which i found a bit weird.

So if I do buy a mugen brace or a replica from ebay i just want it to fit. Im not running anything at the moment.
Hi mate I am going away Friday but as soon as back your more than welcome to try my genuine Mugen one on the car if needed as I will be your way picking it up from TGM (sure your that way or local) so before buying you can try mine (then you have tried both genuine and replica).

Carl

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi mate I am going away Friday but as soon as back your more than welcome to try my genuine Mugen one on the car if needed as I will be your way picking it up from TGM (sure your that way or local) so before buying you can try mine (then you have tried both genuine and replica).

Carl
Cheers Carl,

When are you back from Cuba again? I'll be at TGM on the 12th May

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Cheers Carl,

When are you back from Cuba again? I'll be at TGM on the 12th May
I will be back on the 20th mate and collecting the car on the 26th, so if your not there I am more than happy to pop over with it so you can try it before heading home, saves you any running about :)

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I will be back on the 20th mate and collecting the car on the 26th, so if your not there I am more than happy to pop over with it so you can try it before heading home, saves you any running about :)
Cheers let me know when you're at TGM and we can meet up somewhere

hoho

Advanced Member
Pretty sure pfl and fl mugen braces are the same. My one came off a pfl and fitted fine on my fl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Mugen are the same.

Only difference is that on a facelift you have to remove OEM brace to fit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk