Flat front tyre. Used spare on front. Now getting a "judder"

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
I got a flat front right a few weeks back. I put the spare on the front for my journey home of about 25 miles. The next day I got 2x new front tyres but they switched the back wheels to the front so the new went on the back.

After the car was pulling to the left and had a judder mid to high speeds. The steering also felt light and less responsive.

Someone pointed out the spare should have been used on the back. I thought it felt a bit unwieldly with the spare on but expected this due to its size.

I took the car back to the tyre place and they swapped the fronts around and checked pressures and balance. One side was low and now the pulling to the left has gone.

The steering however still feels wrong. It's lighter and feels less responsive. The judder still occurs.

Could tracking be out? What could running the spare on the front have done to cause this?

What would my next step to get it sorted be?

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
If it feels light, I'd say that was down to higher tyre pressures than you're used to.

You'll have to describe this judder better. Is it a vibration through the wheel? Is it audible..?

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
No noise, just feel the steering wheel juddering slightly at speed. It's not very violent but is enough for me to notice and not feel comfortable.

I will give pressures a go. Maybe they overdid it.

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
anticlaus105 said:
No noise, just feel the steering wheel juddering slightly at speed. It's not very violent but is enough for me to notice and not feel comfortable.

I will give pressures a go. Maybe they overdid it.
Pressure wont effect the judder only the lightness of the steering, the 'judder' may be down to a poorly balanced wheel(s).

rossteg88

Advanced Member
yeah, the pressures is most likely the problem for the steering being light, you may have a slightly buckled wheel which was on the back that they may have swapped it to the front. i doubt that its a tracking problem, but its probably worth the check, because it is free to get a check, watch they dont blag you, they might say they adjusted it even if they havent. why did you have the new tyres put on the back?? :?

acepty

Advanced Member
this should be in fault and fixes

anyway is not advisable to run different sizes of tires in the front wheels because it could have and adverse effect in the LSD

ruff translation taken from the owners manual:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate

- As for the nosewheel also left and right, identical size, identical type, please use identical brand and the tire which does not have worn difference. When the tire where size, type, brand and worn extent differ is mixed adverse effect is given to LSD.

- The spare tire equipment car emergency

When the nosewheel gets flat, please install the spare tire emergency in the rear wheel, install the standard tire which is removed in the nosewheel.

HTH