Flexi or not to flexi?

newyorkaddict

Advanced Member
So the flexi has gone on my DC Sports exhaust manifold, I've ordered a replacement, but have noticed a lot of other brand manifolds don't use a flexi section. How do you get away with cracking on this style of mani? The DC is recommended to be used with ES Energy mounts to protect the flexi, I was just wondering if there was any reason stopping me from fitting a straight piece of piping instead of replacing the flexi section?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
If I recall from previous threads, by using a straight piece of pipe you increase stress on welds in other parts of the system and eventually something more expensive will break.

Mark_teg recently had his flexi replaced on his DC manifold. Was pretty cheap from what I remember and I think he said its the first time its gone in 4 years or so. If it's going to go its probably the best place for it to as its a cheap fix.

As you've suggested, ES mounts will help a lot. Without them you could be looking at much more regular repairs. Circa £27 well spent for sure

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
A lot other manifolds use sleeved fit sections that will naturally allow some movement, hence maybe removing the need for a flexi section.

For the DC manifold, if as Davidpingu said, without a flexi you will likely damage the welds somewhere on the manifold which I imagine could end up being move expensive.

Do you have ES inserts at the moment?

newyorkaddict

Advanced Member
Ches lads. Wingnutzz, I don't know if I do or don't as I haven't really changed much mechanically on the car since I got it a year ago. Now I'm starting to put a few new bits on,I m finding the little issues here and there. I'll get some of the inserts sorted and just carry on with the flexi being replaced. Thanks for the help though boys, appreciated.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
an exhaust designed for road will have flexis, a proper race exhaust normally wont, simply put any race car will be expected to have solid mounts or at the very least seriously uprated ones, any flexi joint disrupts the airflow as they are not parallel inside

maxvr6

Advanced Member
dotty said:
My feels has four flexi sections
I have only just noticed this while perusing parts, seems to be the only uprated manifold you can get that has 4 flexi's, does this mean you're not running the inserts or a torque damper? Whats uncle toms view?

beppe786

Beppe
Jdm Maxim work header also has 4 flexi pipes.. didn't know flexi disrupts flow :xaiweb6: ... my new kid racing header has no flexi :xyes:

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I had spotted this one actually but under the name Suruga performance

Edit; oh i see they're just a reseller of the maxim works one

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Still curious to know if the Feels manifold can be run without the need for inserts or uprated mounts?