Fluctuating idle/revs?? Please help....

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Hi All,

Just been out in the car and I have noticed that the revs seem to be a little unstable whilst at idle?? Sat in traffic and sometimes the revs will climb to about 1300rpm and then drop down to about 600rpm quite eratically?? I've never seen this before and its only just started doing it.

I think I noticed it whilst cruising with no gas on too. Doing maybe 3krpm and coasting in 4th it gets a little jerky sometimes??

The car still pulls well to the limiter, its just when the gas in not on.

Please help.

Cheers,
Nick

kingston

Advanced Member
i get similar though not irratic idle, starts off high then drops down to 6/800 at start up

Also get when slowing down in your in high gear/low speed, around the 3k mark it feels as if the wheels get tugged..

corbie

Advanced Member
When was the last time you cleaned your Spoon Drop in air filter, if you are saying it didn’t used to do and started recently, could be that the filter is dirty.

Since you have a KPro why not do a datalog and see what is happening, as it could be a flat spot in the map?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
kingston said:
i get similar though not irratic idle, starts off high then drops down to 6/800 at start up

Also get when slowing down in your in high gear/low speed, around the 3k mark it feels as if the wheels get tugged..
That's normal when the engine is cold.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
corbie said:
When was the last time you cleaned your Spoon Drop in air filter, if you are saying it didn’t used to do and started recently, could be that the filter is dirty.

Since you have a KPro why not do a datalog and see what is happening, as it could be a flat spot in the map?
Unlikely to be that as its not been in there that long. My new CAI has just arrived so that will be going on this weekend.

The KPro is being remapped on the 6th April so I'll see what they find. Just odd that its only just started doing it??

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
You have a problem with the idle air control valve. located under the throttle body, this is a fairly common fault,

When the throttle butterfly is closed (i.e idling) the valve allows air to bypass the butterfly letting the car idle. As the load on the engine changes, alternator charging or fan switching on and off etc the air required to keep the engine running changes, the valve varies the amount of air required to make the idle as smooth as possible, when there is a problem with the valve the engine hunts at idle as it is unable to control the air accuratly.

It can be removed and cleaned which helps sometimes but unfortunatly the Iacv cannot be replaced individually (its not available from Honda as a part the whole throttle body has to be replaced. Most people would opt for a spoon as they use astd body and are cheaper than the one from honda.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
A bitch :? ,as the throttle body needs to come off then you can get at the IACV, you will need a new TB gasket from Honda. i think there maybe a post somewhere about removing it. i think wooty did this ages ago.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
A bitch :? ,as the throttle body needs to come off then you can get at the IACV, you will need a new TB gasket from Honda. i think there maybe a post somewhere about removing it. i think wooty did this ages ago.
Cheers mate. I'll do some searching around.

pudski

Advanced Member
Having near enough the same problems with my car. But when the under bonnet temp is high(usualy after driving 9-10 miles) it seems to be ok.
idle air control valve? or heat related?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Got the exact same happening to mine now. It's fine when driving about as long as the revs stay above 2000, car pulls fine, no power issues, though as soon as I'm in town in stop start sraffic the idle is all over the place. It's always hunting between 800 and 1400. Really fustrating.

Since I'm planning on a larger TB and the Hondata gasket is it safe to leave it how it is until I get one or the other or both?

kingston

Advanced Member
have you tried putting some injector cleaner additive in with the petrol, when i spoke to tom about this issue he suggested trying that first before replacing valves and such - the issue has now gone away for me

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Hi Chris,

Mine cleared itself up after a long drive. Probably just the ICV getting gunked up.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
Hi Chris,

Mine cleared itself up after a long drive. Probably just the ICV getting gunked up.
Yep, mine's fine after the SW meet! Some long high revs periods seem to have cleared it!

JT3173

Advanced Member
I get this along with a violent jerking when the engine is cold and I coast in a low gear. Once the engine is warm it clears itslef up and everything is fine.

JT3173

Advanced Member
Re:

C&S Evo7 said:
You have a problem with the idle air control valve. located under the throttle body, this is a fairly common fault,

When the throttle butterfly is closed (i.e idling) the valve allows air to bypass the butterfly letting the car idle. As the load on the engine changes, alternator charging or fan switching on and off etc the air required to keep the engine running changes, the valve varies the amount of air required to make the idle as smooth as possible, when there is a problem with the valve the engine hunts at idle as it is unable to control the air accuratly.

It can be removed and cleaned which helps sometimes but unfortunatly the Iacv cannot be replaced individually (its not available from Honda as a part the whole throttle body has to be replaced. Most people would opt for a spoon as they use astd body and are cheaper than the one from honda.
Cheers for the info on this Simon, I have the same issue, PM sent.

For anyone else that my have this issue I have found a good guide to taking the idle air control valve off on Club RSX.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=288936&highlight=idle+air+control+valve&page=1

:xcheers:

jay82

Advanced Member
Re: Re:

JT3173 said:
C&S Evo7 said:

For anyone else that my have this issue I have found a good guide to taking the idle air control valve off on Club RSX.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=288936&highlight=idle+air+control+valve&page=1

i do have the same problem the last few months aswell and was just to about to put a post up today :D

JT3173

Advanced Member

jay82 said:
JT3173 said:
C&S Evo7 said:

i do have the same problem the last few months aswell and was just to about to put a post up today :D
Haha, beat you to it then didnt I :lol:

Still got to clean my Idle Air Control valve to make sure, after that if it still does not work then I think it will be a little remap ;)

jay82

Advanced Member

JT3173 said:
Haha, beat you to it then didnt I :lol:

Still got to clean my Idle Air Control valve to make sure, after that if it still does not work then I think it will be a little remap ;)
mines not really that bad but i'm putting the kpro in the car in july and want everything 100% in her