Flywheel options

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
Hi guys, i'm currently in the middle of changing my clutch. But when i took it out I saw my flywheel wasn't in the best of states. I'm not sure what to do. Get it resurfaced, get a New one or even a lighter one.

I'm not really a fan of resurfacing so i think it's gonna be a New one, but i'm not sure what's the best price/performance wise.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I replaced mine with the competition clutch ultralight flywheel as TGM had them in stock while I was getting my clutch done. Lighter than OEM and works well. Not overly expensive from memory either. Somewhere in the £200 - £250 region I think?

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
Looking at the rpc flywheel offered by tegiwa, anyone have Any experience with this? Weighs in at about 3,9 kilos. Will this be noticeable? The clockwise motion one is beyond my budget unfortunatly

Also looking at mounting engine mount inserts and gearbox mount insert because everything is unbolted at The moment.

integraleo

Advanced Member
From what I remember the oem flywheel is only 4.4kg anyway so it's very light.it's half the weight of a dc2 one.

MrRy

Advanced Member
I have the RPC in mine. Feels marginally lighter. Perfectly fine for road and track. Wanted the Fidanza but was out of stock at the time. Glad I didn't go for the clockwise on a road car (not because it's too light though..).

dotty

Advanced Member
I have an ACT one in the garage (clockwise motion copy this one) I was going to fit to my DC5 but then sold it. It would fit my FD2, so was toying with fitting it to that but tom at Tgm has mentioned the FD2 flywheel is lighter than a DC5 one. Could be tempted to part ways with it. It's covered 4000 miles.

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
MrRy said:
I have the RPC in mine. Feels marginally lighter. Perfectly fine for road and track. Wanted the Fidanza but was out of stock at the time. Glad I didn't go for the clockwise on a road car (not because it's too light though..).
I'm not sure about the Fidanza because it's a two piece flywheel. Why are you glad you didn't go for the clockwise if i may ask?

MrRy

Advanced Member
sabberjoch said:
I'm not sure about the Fidanza because it's a two piece flywheel. Why are you glad you didn't go for the clockwise if i may ask?
I think the horror stories about them being two piece are pretty rare, but as with everything on the internet and forums it gets blown out of proportion.

Stevie at Grinspeed advised against them - they are light and well made, but more for race cars as they are so thin, if/when you get massive heat build up, they tend to die in no time apparently. I don't know about you but I trust the advice of an ex-WRC technician that sees these cars daily over anything anyone else really says about them.

Go for the RPC, or in an ideal world, see what Competition Clutch do - I swear by their stuff. There stage 4 clutch was immense and super light in the DC2.

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
Think i'll go for the RPC one, as it's a slight upgrade from stock for a good price. Hope that it will make a noticeable difference together with the mount inserts.

civic17_99

Advanced Member
I've got the ACT one in mine as well, TGM supplied and fitted it with a new clutch, It was significantly cheaper than a brand new OEM one that's for sure.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Would a lightened flywheel feel any different when using the clutch? Surly if it's lighten it'll mean less stress on your leg?

Mark_teg

Staff member
Clutch won't feel any different Liam, the springs in the clutch determine clutch feel.
You may notice the engine will Rev more freely when you prod the throttle in neutral. A flywheel retains engine momentum, so you may notice the revs drop more quickly too.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I have an RPC flywheel. Looks like a quality item and I have had no drivability issues with it.

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
Just ordered the RPC flywheel together with the gearbox mount insert and enginemount inserts for 300 euros in total. Happy me!