FN2 to DC5

chilltyper

Hi all

i currently have an type r FN2 and maybe considering swapping for a dc5 in the future. Can someone please explain if its worth it etc. Also what are they like on the motorway

Thanks

linzi94

Advanced Member
the DC5 is quicker, faster and handles 10 times better than an FN2! also less common...

my 2p

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
No contest IMO. DC5 all the way. The FN2 is watered down rubbish and not deserving the Type R badge.

DolphiN Tech

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
No contest IMO. DC5 all the way. The FN2 is watered down rubbish and not deserving the Type R badge.
10 years ago it would have been called a VTi, but even back then the FN2 would have been scraping it. My '99 VTi-S had a slip diff, proper suspension and so on.

The EP3 was mildly compromised (EPS, no diff), but the FN2 is a lame duck in comparison.

rick c

Advanced Member
I quite like the look of the FN2 though, particularly in race trim. Shame they compromised it though.

drivebymonkey

Advanced Member
Dont think you will find anyone on here who will say "Oh yea, the FN2 is a much better car, stick with it!".

Just compare the spec list and it will become blindingly obvious what your choice should be.

paul671

Best mate has an FN2, I think the DC5 is a better drivers car, FN2 is a more comfortable/well equipped car.

I dont believe there is a huge difference in performance that some might think though, two years & about 50-60 laps of the ring together I believe the biggest differences to the FN2 are better brakes, less weight, a diff & a few more revs. Not enough to overcome a better driver IMO.

But.. DC5 is in a different league when it comes to fun, FN2 is too refined, quiet, numb etc. Chop the FN2 in & get a DC5, you wont look back.

Just my 2p though.

Evs

Advanced Member
Pic removed as it was a bit big :lol: can you resize if you'd like to repost it please, thanks :)

logik

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
Agree with this, DC5 all the way.

chilltyper

How do people find the dc5 on the motorway? Also how does the build quality compare to the FN2 which IMO is poor.

Martctr

Advanced Member
chilltyper said:
How do people find the dc5 on the motorway? Also how does the build quality compare to the FN2 which IMO is poor.
DC5 is fine on a motorway and much easier to live with than the DC2 lol. I picked mine up and had to do a 5 hour drive home and it felt just like the ep3 although seing the rear spoiler when you check your blind spot took a bit of getting use to

Think you need to find someone that's owned both cars to give you the answer to build quality. The DC5 isnt brilliant and suffers the normal honda rattles and the odd strange noise.

I've been driven round goodward by Jenson Button in the FN2 prior to it's release and it felt fast and fun, but when I test drove the FN2 a month later it felt watered down & slow compared to the EP3 I had at the time so I opted for the DC5.

Why spend ££££ on a new spaceship that's slower than the outgoing model when you can have a better looking/performing car for half the price? That's how I ended up with the teg and I have no regrets.

Freddie

Advanced Member
Mate of mine who works at honda said there constantly in getting fixed.
He mentioned alot of suspension and handbrake issues/recalls.

R Dom

For motorway use I'd rather be in the FN2 (styling and looks aside). With both cars on my driveway (not both mine i hasten to add) i can see the good and bad in both. The resale values of the FN2 are poor now compared with the cost of an imported DC5 so you'll most likely be driving an older DC5 for the same cash. Obviously track enthusiasts and "purists" would go for the jap... :lol: