Fog Light Bulb Replacement and Fix.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Had a bit of a problem over the last few years with my fog light which some of you may relate to:

1) The Fog bulb always turned pink or eventually back to white just in time for the MOT!
2) A previous Garage had re-painted the bulb with poor red paint and the residue had badly burnt off into the cluster! (turning the cluster almost yellow)

So I decided to sort it out! Firstly, here is a shot before and after the process of sorting it out! Note the misty yellow tint top, this is where the bulb paint had burnt off onto the roof of the cluster and the clear plastic face.

So, to fix the discolouration of the cluster I used the following:
Glass cleaner
Cotton Wool
Sellotape (to secure the cotton)
Bit of bendable plastic (K-Nex! :lol:)

I basically made my own giant curved cotton bud soaked in glass cleaner that I could put in the cluster (through the bulb hole) to rub off all the burnt residue and collect the bits of bulb paint that had flaked off inside.

This worked really well! After a few applications it eventually got out most, if not all of the residue causing the discolouration, I regularly changed the cotton on the end for a fresh wad, securing it with sellotape to the bent K-Nex rod and I used a completely dry piece to clean up the glass cleaner residue that was left behind:

Notice the residue/shards of glass paint it removed from the cluster! I had to do this about 5 times before cleaning the cluster with a dry piece of cotton.

Next up was the bulb problem, I was fed up with this temporary fix as it led to more problems when the foglight is actually USED.

Here is the Bulb that was in there, check out the state of it! Was black in places where it had badly burnt, potential fire hazard!? Really was almost black inside the cluster roof!

So obviously needed replacing, this is where eBay came in!
I bought a pair of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180548969852&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

E Approved as well.... not sure what that means! but sounded 'safe' :lol:

After a little test in the Fog light socket:

In the Nice and Clean Fog Cluster!

View of the chrome bulb when off... sweeeeeeet! Completely matches on both sides now, no more pink fog lights! 8)

I hope this post can help anyone else with the same or similar problem! :xcheers:
Ian.

dave7368

Advanced Member
very nice B)

or you could just zip tie a fog light to the tow eye come MOT time like i do :wink:

which reminds me, mine's due soon...... now, where's that fog light!! lol

JezW

Advanced Member
Thanks Jimmer, it seems a bit more involved than is necessary for a fog light though...I'd rather just put a new bulb in lol

JezW

Advanced Member
Ok you're tempting me now ;) Where did you get the civic bulb holder?