FP Racing 4-2-1 Race Manifold & Manifold questions

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
Hi, looking for some advice and thoughts on this manifold, it would be appreciated cheers.

Anyone used this manifold before? Here's the link from FunkyPower FP Racing 4-2-1 Race Exhaust Manifold

Looks decent for the price, also includes the gasket. It does say it has a deep sporty tone, thinking of pairing with the oem cat back so I'm not sure if this will change the exhaust sound that much? Definitely want to stay clear from any drone as the car is used daily.

Any idea what should I expect in terms of feel and performance once fitted? I'm not looking at bhp just more the characteristics of changing the manifold for something more free flowing.

It does say 'instant 15bhp' I don‘t expect to see this without a map and while the rest of the car is pretty much stock apart from a Mugen intake that already came fitted when I bought the car.

Now I don't know if this is a daft question to ask, but will the car perform alright with a decat manifold bolted directly on without a map/tune to accompany the change of exhaust flow?

Looks like this one has fitment for the 02 sensors so I'm guessing that should keep the EML showing up? Anything else I'd need to know by changing this before mapping?

Thanks xthumbup

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
FWIW I have a Tegiwa decat manifold and the car has made less power than standard. The car does sound better than standard though. If it were me I'd spend the money on improving your brakes and handling.

Elliot438

Crazylegs said:
FWIW I have a Tegiwa decat manifold and the car has made less power than standard. The car does sound better than standard though. If it were me I'd spend the money on improving your brakes and handling.
You lost power with a Tegiwa manifold over a stock one? Tegiwa manifold is a replica of the Toda which is regarded as one of the best

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Elliot438 said:
You lost power with a Tegiwa manifold over a stock one? Tegiwa manifold is a replica of the Toda which is regarded as one of the best
Yes, not just down to the Tegiwa I don't think as my exhaust is quite restrictive but I doubt the Tegiwa has had half as much R&D put into its design as the Toda has. Only if you don't already have decent brake pads I'd invest in something like Pagid RS29 or Hawk HP+ pads all round or decent coilover setup as the car will benefit more from them type of modifications. Just my personal opinion.

Elliot438

Crazylegs said:
Yes, not just down to the Tegiwa I don't think as my exhaust is quite restrictive but I doubt the Tegiwa has had half as much R&D put into its design as the Toda has. Only if you don't already have decent brake pads I'd invest in something like Pagid RS29 or Hawk HP+ pads all round or decent coilover setup as the car will benefit more from them type of modifications. Just my personal opinion.
Yes I agree better suspension setup on a stock engine can easily be faster than a full bolt on car but that's not what this thread is about. I run the Tegiwa manifold with a 3 inch exhaust and makes good power. I'd say the manifold looks decent if you want to save a decent chunk over competitors, fitment should be the main concern

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Fair enough mate. Maybe the design of the Tegiwa isn't so bad after all. How come you're looking at changing it if you don't mind me asking?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Oh and I think it would more than likely require a remap if you're changing it to a decat system. They tend to run a lot more rich.

p1tse

Advanced Member
@ crazylegs, I think your power will be down to exhaust and not the decat mani. Also got to bear in mind the age of engine and history, it might have had a harder life to date which you may not be aware of, so even with the best bolt on mods and map it still might not perform as well as others.

Should have waited to purchase mine when I decide to sell (was the one you wanted to move from your blue one) ;)

SamDC5

Advanced Member
A decat manifold won't reduce the power of the car seeing as though the cat is a restriction.

Ideally you'll need the decat mapping in as your AFR will be out. Also you'll have an engine management light from the secondary O2 sensor.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
@ crazylegs, I think your power will be down to exhaust and not the decat mani. Also got to bear in mind the age of engine and history, it might have had a harder life to date which you may not be aware of, so even with the best bolt on mods and map it still might not perform as well as others.

Should have waited to purchase mine when I decide to sell (was the one you wanted to move from your blue one) ;)
Ha ha! All good points mate and you could be right but I do think it's potentially down to the exhaust.

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
@crazylegs thanks for the advice on handling. The boys down at Grinspeed have set her up to handle like a champ! I agree mate, these cars respond incredibly well with a proper setup for handling.

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
@Elliot438 I'm going to send a few questions over to FP about fitment. hopefully it should be a straight swap over, just need to check as there's no size mentioned. If it pairs up with the oem fitment I'll give it a try for the money.

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
My intentions are to free up a bit more power with as little tinkering as possible to start with and go from there Crazylegs.

Based on looks and handling I'd be more than happy to keep this car a lot longer than others I've owned, it's a beautiful looking car that brings a smile to my face every time I drive it, however after less than a year of ownership it's starting to feel a little low on power.

After comparing bolt on parts the manifold looked like the best one to start with, but I could be wrong?

Suppose I'm in two minds and may need a little persuading before going all out on parts and tuning.

Fez

Advanced Member
When i fitted my tegiwa manifold i dyno'd before and after and gained 10whp in vtec, 6-8k, before vtec was nigh on identical.

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
Fez said:
When i fitted my tegiwa manifold i dyno'd before and after and gained 10whp in vtec, 6-8k, before vtec was nigh on identical.
@Fez this with a map or just bolt on and then dyno'd?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Fez

Advanced Member
DC5RLY said:
@Fez this with a map or just bolt on and then dyno'd?

This is just fitting the manifold, no remap.

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
Fez said:
This is just fitting the manifold, no remap.
Thanks mate, do you mind me asking if it's mapped now and If not, any problems running it without?