front brake setup vs cost

V7MAT

clean freak
Hi,

I'm in need of new discs and pads for the front of my DC5. I'm not wanting anything major like caliper swaps but i'm interested in which disc AND pad combo you guys reccomend for fast road use?

If you feel the std factory setup is adequate please comment, i really have no experience in other setups so need to ask if its worth the extra cost or not? :xconfused:

Sorry if this topic is a little vague, hope you can still help....

cheers Matt.

nefor

Advanced Member
A good, not too expensive and popular option is Standard disks with Ferrodo DS2500 pads. Could also try Mintex 1144 pads but IIRC they are a bit more expensive.

dave c

400hp K20
Personally,

I think you should upgrade lol, imo the standard ones are pap.

I'd go paul G discs if i had the cash spare, i downgraded to standard and i am not happy with them at all, don't get me wrong they are ok, but they could be SO much better and gives you SO much more confidence shaving the pace off.

If you don't want to spend that much then i'd look about else where rather than oem. Uprated pads at least (ds2500) ? and maybe some dixon disks?

My 2p

I'm afraid i have no experiance other than the mystery setup my car car with and oem but from reading various forums the paul g's ones seem to come top of the pile for a disc based on, £ vs performance

And everyone seems to reccomend the DS2500 for pads only

celox performance

Advanced Member
if your not doing any track days or the occasional one or two and it's mainly for fast road use, then OEM front & rear discs are fine. You should replace your front pads though with something like the Ferodo DS2500 and they're around £90. The OEM rear pads are fine and don't need to be changed.

V7MAT

clean freak
cheers for the quick and useful answers lads! next part... can anyone provide me with links to decent prices?? :roll:

i was thinking maybe dixcel discs and pads if i changed, how much more are PG discs?

mikegsi

Staff member
last i checked paul's disc/pad combo inc delivery was around £900.

expensive............ yes

worth it???? very much so

they will outlast most things on the market, ive heard of them doing over 15 trackday plus roads use and still show little wear!

its unbelievable the difference they make, i would love another set but i dont have the cash at the moment and what little i have keeps getting spent on other bits :D

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tried the paul g setup myself but read plenty of good reports from some reliable guys so they must be ok.

Personally i used J's Racing heat treated grooved discs and Performance friction 01 compound pads after trying lots of others, this was a track biased setup and a little noisy on the road but transformed the brakeing and feel of the car, it gave massive confidence, at silly spreeds you could jump on them way past the marked braking points and they would haul you up with little fuss.

As for the lifespan, that was the best bit, previously i was going thru a set of DS3000 pads like no tomorrow, they would be half worn after a track day wheras the PF ones lasted 18months, 5 rounds of time attack, 10 trackdays and 10000 plus road miles.

sometimes even discs and pads from the same manufacturer don't work that well together, occassionally you stumble on a setup which works well on a particular car but the same setup is not so good on a different car, its sods law and lots of trial and error.

In short my recomendations
for road use with the occassional trackday , then oem discs and ds2500 or similar pads
for trackdays then paul g setup or J's and PF's
for racing -complete caliper and 2 peice change brembo touring car etc.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
Personally i used J's Racing heat treated grooved discs and Performance friction 01 compound pads after trying lots of others, this was a track biased setup and a little noisy on the road but transformed the brakeing and feel of the car, it gave massive confidence, at silly spreeds you could jump on them way past the marked braking points and they would haul you up with little fuss.
I too use these J's Racing grooved discs with DS2500 pads and find them excellent. And as you say they are lasting a very long time...3-4 track days, 15,000 road miles and barely any wear 8)

Only downside is that they squeal something awful at low speeds :cry:

V7MAT

clean freak
Thanks again guys, kep the opinions/reviews coming! ideas on costs would be great too :oops:

V7MAT

clean freak
i can't find prices, and not got time to phone around :roll: i'll let you know if i find out myself....... unless anybody else knows?

i have had these pads suggested by a friend, pretty good by the sound of it: http://www.carbotech-europe.com/
to use with OEM disc i imagine.

i have emailed for prices on 8 and 10 compound, so wll post answer when i get it.

mikegsi

Staff member
I had the carbotech xp(8 or 10 can't remember now!!) on my Evo with uprated bell/disc discs, they were good, but no better than the mintex or ferrodo IMO having used them all

JDC5

Charged DC5
If you want a brake set up for a good value for money i would go for Dixcel slot disc and type Z pads... after switching to this set up i was truely amazed!! yes i guess the paul G's set up is good but for £900 its expensive indeed, plus i'm not planning any track day, so for fast street use this is ideal!

JD

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
JD - The setup you have now is also good for track day and racing as well, because of the special compound they work great when its cold as well. :wink:

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
IIRC, was the mintex 1144 pads for Paul G's discs a modified version? As my pads are squealing slightly and will want to get the discs at some point so might as well get the modified versions of the pads, unless they dont work with oem discs? anyone clarify? thanks.