front driver side knocking...

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Hi there,

after having my teg for 3 weeks, the first problem has occurred.

Front driver side knocking.

I can hear it slightly when driving in straight lines, however it is significantly louder when turning right and applying the brakes.

It only started happening last night. The roads around this are a really bumpy so that has probably come into play. not too sure what is; could be brakes, suspension, cv joint, top mount, steering rack??

the car passed the mot with no advisories less than a month ago so im slightly cautious as to what it could be?

Suggestions?

Many thanks,
Carl.

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Sounds like the top mount to me, has you are putting load on when turning but am sure someone will correct me if am wrong! :xgrin:

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
that's why I did think the top mount, but also thought it could be the brakes because it happens when I apply them too?

I just hope its not the buddy club coilovers cause that will be a rather expensive fix lol...

wj51fut

Advanced Member
carlos7777777 said:
that's why I did think the top mount, but also thought it could be the brakes because it happens when I apply them too?

I just hope its not the buddy club coilovers cause that will be a rather expensive fix lol...
The brakes will force the whole suspension forwards and backwards If the top mount is shot. Jack the car up and try to move the strut with your hands. Also try to move the wheel up and down getting the suspension moving to see what the problem is.

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Thanks for the comments. I did take it to the garage but they insisted that there was nothing noticeably wrong? the noise did go away for a while after the brakes were cleaned but the noise has reoccurred a little. I'll have a good look on the weekend by jacking her up and giving a few bits a jiggle and a wiggle lol

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Its probably drop links, top mounts or worn bushes. That's what I thought when my car started knocking on the front drivers side. Turns out I needed a new front subframe : \
The subframe had been cut to remove the sump in Japan, and then very badly welded underneath and wasn't even welded at all on the top and was starting to crack and split. Ten years of road grime and slight oil leak from the sump had hidden the bodged repair very well.

Jack

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
just had a little play with the underside and concluded that the driverside driveshaft has some play and knocks. passenger side is solid with no play.

However, noticed oil all over, which I think it is, the subframe brace.

Only a week ago I had a minor service done at the garage and there was no oil leaking... and they insisted that nothing was wrong with any components. I quote, 'because the suspension is so stiff is probably the reason for the knocking...'

Might go back this week and get the leak sorted and driveshaft changed... I am thinking though that the oil that is on the subframe brace could be the oil when the oil filter was removed?

Opinions?

ozzy147

Advanced Member
I had the exact same after mine was serviced. Went away after a couple of days. It's just from when the oil filter was removed. Keep an eye on it but I reckon it you will be fine