Front end suspension freshen up recommendations without huge outlay?

p1tse

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
I have a set of brand new in box Mugen front compliance bushings for sale Patch. I can drop them off at Leightons if you like? Only asking £50 for them. They are £110 new.
Thanks for the offer
But I'll be worried these will be stiff for my likings
I'll have a think and get back to you if I change my mind and still available

p1tse

Advanced Member
What does rack slider do, just thinking what else is worth considering whilst at the garage when I come round to it

tristanpalmer

Advanced Member
Raises steering arms to counteract the increased angle they sit at when lowered...
The aim being to reduce bump steer, bush wear, and wear on steering rack :)

p1tse

Advanced Member
tristanpalmer said:
Raises steering arms to counteract the increased angle they sit at when lowered...
The aim being to reduce bump steer, bush wear, and wear on steering rack :)
That's raiser but what about slider?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
The slider is the part that connects the two track rod arms. It's a kind of bushing to help with vibrations and feel of the steering. It's not a modification at all but for the money (and if your fitting a rack riser) then it may aswel be fitted.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Increased castor is the best mod that can be done to this chassis as it has virtually none.

A mcpherson strut doesnt camber much under compression so more static camber is needed.

Castor adds dynamic camber so in theory less static camber is needed. I run high static camber as i run a wide tyre so i dont really loose contact patch. High camber on oem sized tyre with not be advised.

More castor also increases the effort needed to turn thus reducing the tramlining effect. This because it wants to self center more as mentioned.

Area Motorsport just started selling castor top mounts offering upto 7 deg when combined with castor lca bushes.

My custom top mounts are at 3.5. Ill be buying some for my new coilovers however they are pricey at £330 so probably over kill for a road car

p1tse

Advanced Member
I've just fitted new top mounts as mine were knocking, so won't be replacing those

Superpro lca front bushes are probably on the cards

But just totting up the costs as will need a fresh alignment

Won't be fitting a rack raiser as don't believe I require it in my spring setup as not on low coilovers

Adam, have you fitted the slider?

RichA

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
Increased castor is the best mod that can be done to this chassis as it has virtually none.
A mcpherson strut doesnt camber much under compression so more static camber is needed.
Castor adds dynamic camber so in theory less static camber is needed. I run high static camber as i run a wide tyre so i dont really loose contact patch. High camber on oem sized tyre with not be advised.
More castor also increases the effort needed to turn thus reducing the tramlining effect. This because it wants to self center more as mentioned.
Area Motorsport just started selling castor top mounts offering upto 7 deg when combined with castor lca bushes.
My custom top mounts are at 3.5. Ill be buying some for my new coilovers however they are pricey at £330 so probably over kill for a road car
I saw those Area Motorsport top mounts, they look like an exact copy of the Todds V2 top plates I have waiting to fit to mine! It's great that someone has started producing them now.

tristanpalmer

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
That's raiser but what about slider?
Apologies, misread it (D'oh!), believe slider is more preventative maintenance to preserve life of rack, but not looked into it in detail so couldn't comment confidently.

Fitted super pro castor bushes recently though amongst a few other bits, and would really recommend.
As Mike said, also enables you to dial in more dynamic camber, which on the road I didn't notice to any great effect, but on track totally transformed the car.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Superpro bushes are on the list
But add in labour and geo it all adds up :(

mike.williams

Advanced Member
RichA said:
I saw those Area Motorsport top mounts, they look like an exact copy of the Todds V2 top plates I have waiting to fit to mine! It's great that someone has started producing them now.
they are very similar, but meet the requirements of the civic cup regs, but yes they were copied. its great that a UK firm is making products like this for our chassis.

i was down for a set of todds last batch but couldnt justify the price with import, then shorter springs so i went with the compbrake top mounts i run now

Just for info, with the top mounts, we initially ordered them from Todd, but we had an issue in that the tyre temp spread was far greater (20 degrees) than we wanted on the fronts and there wasn't enough adjustment on the top mount to reduce the camber to where we needed to be, so we used the base design but re-engineered the top to give a much larger range for camber adjustment. Now we're a degree less in front camber static, but seeing the same spread. Mid to exit is night and day better.

They can also be fitted to none inverted shocks. (With a little modifying)

Also in response to the original post, the energy suspension bushes bind and don't allow any free range of movement.

If you look at them when fitted they sandwhich into the subframe so they always want to return to a certain position, which in turn has an effect on the control your shock has. On the other hand SuperPro have 50-60mm in terms of free movement.