Front H badge emblem (i) life expectancy (ii) how to change?

p1tse

Advanced Member
My front badge has come loose so need to get behind the grill to tighten it up if possible ie if not broken

Is it just lifting up the 6 plastic tabs to remove the grill?

Also when I mention life expectancy, I mean how long do these generally last before they look old and warn with the silver edging breaking down with weathering? Is there away to stop or reduce this happening?

May a spring / summer purchase to replace and use the current during winter use.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
The grill doesn't separate from the bumper after removing the tabs but not sure if it can be prised away enough to reach round the back.
Otherwise it will be a bumper off job, nothing major, remove the top tabs, some screws/ clips underneath and a screw either side going up into the bumper where it meets the wing (front of wheel arch). Then get some help and pop the outer edges of bumper away from the clips then remove.

I've heard of some people putting some silicone around the edge with the aim of stopping water getting between the plastic and the graphic. I replaced mine almost 3 years ago now, and driven about 45k miles since and they still look new.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Thanks
Did you seal yours?

Oh, I thought it can be accessed without bumper off!

Mark_teg

Staff member
(I) Depends if it gets stone chipped, pretty difficult to prevent them ;)

(II) Remove the taps along the top of the grill, lift it up enough to get your hand (plus tooling) through gap. As Luke says, the grill doesn't separate from the bumper but there's no need to remove bumper completely

Hope that helps :)

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I might have sealed it, i can't quite remember! It would just need a tiny bit smearing into the gap so it won't be visible.

Fair enough then it will be a lot easier without removing the bumper!

p1tse

Advanced Member
Thanks

What are the fixings on the back as one side seems loose and I'm guessing the nut / bolt has maybe come loose and off altogether :(

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
(ii) As above depends on driving/ weather etc. I had a new one put on at purchase, and its now started to get abit of air in behind the red. So although not bad, I will be getting new before the summer. Lol just looks pink. Thats 4 1/2 years for me.

And yes it was genuine

nellly

Advanced Member
changed it not long after i got mine so 4 years for me and 30,000 and my front badge is fine, but as above one bad stone chip and you could need a new one almost straight away, think its just luck of the draw.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Thanks all
They last longer than what I perceived, but appreciate variables on stone chips etc.

2ndy

Advanced Member
You could try putting some transparent vinyl over the badge, might help cushion any stones and prevent damage

p1tse

Advanced Member
I've not had a chance to pull back the grill

But it seems to make a small clip noise when pushed back at it. Is the emblem piece attached to another bracket or is it just one piece?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
(ii) As above depends on driving/ weather etc. I had a new one put on at purchase, and its now started to get abit of air in behind the red. So although not bad, I will be getting new before the summer. Lol just looks pink. Thats 4 1/2 years for me.

And yes it was genuine
Getting a new one...

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
I've not had a chance to pull back the grill

But it seems to make a small clip noise when pushed back at it. Is the emblem piece attached to another bracket or is it just one piece?
Two self tappet screws behind it. Just use a stubby screwdriver to tighten them up.

These are £65 from Honda iirc