front number plate positions:

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
could people post pics of their cars with non standard placement of the front plate?

been looking through search results but forum searches are never all that good... found the odd one but i'm sure there are loads out there...

so far i'm liking the idea of a sticker (3/4 size) across the middle, but not sure tbh...

post away :)

Allen

Advanced Member
Used to have mine here.
Its wasnt legal size and I got pulled for it and fined... :roll:

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
Had no problems with mine,so far....

In fact, ive never even been pulled in my DC5.. :D

A graphics company near me, made it up for pennies.

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
yeah does look pretty cool stuck on the front there... how do you reckon a 3/4 size plate would look over at one side? pap?

i will probably end up with another wrongly spaced plate but i must say i wasn't a fan of the feeling when you pass coppers and just wonder if they're gonna pull you for it...

my last one was V7EC X - which i stupidly gave away, and that was very obviously mis-spaced but i never had a problem...

not entirely sure its worth the hassle yet, but where i put the plate is irrelevant of what the plate is for now...

redcap

Advanced Member
Check the DVLA guidelines for imported cars.

I'm pretty sure if you use the correct size lettering and spacing then you can have a sticky plate legally. The problems come when it isn't reflective the spacing is wrong and the font is wrong.

I will eventually get round to sticking mine on, need to fill the hole too.

steveitr

Advanced Member
I had a sticky like the black one at the top on mine, but when i get another DC5 i would like to have it stuck to the side i think that looks different and makes the car stand out even more 8)

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
Allen said:
Used to have mine here.

what did they say was wrong with it mines is the correct size seemingly (64mm letters)

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
redcap said:
Check the DVLA guidelines for imported cars.

I'm pretty sure if you use the correct size lettering and spacing then you can have a sticky plate legally. The problems come when it isn't reflective the spacing is wrong and the font is wrong.

I will eventually get round to sticking mine on, need to fill the hole too.
as i said mines is all of the above so im hoping im fine, i think the grey area is its not plastic or fixed (mechanically)

ive got the dvla printout in my glove compartment so i can put the pigs straight lol ;)

mikegsi

Staff member
Allen said:
Used to have mine here.

bad luck mate!!

in over two yrs of a most likely (slightly!!) illegal front plate i never got pulled over for it, in fact the only time it ever came to question was when it was parked on my driveway (not public place) and police had been called to get me to turn music down (30th b'day party, around 11pmish!!)
obv explained how they were show plates and it was off the highway so didnt matter!!

jermal

Advanced Member
Apparently all sticky plates are illegal according to this site:

http://www.craigsplates.com/import-number-plates

Others opt for the standard UK car size plate but as a self-adhesive one to stick directly onto the bonnet/paintwork etc but did you know this type of plate is non-compliant too no matter how it is made (even road legal UK height font of 79mm). DVLA banned them all!! We’ve written this page because we want to inform import owners that there is another choice. If you have a good functional reason to display a smaller plate and do not want a square plate on the front making your car look like a snowplough and your engine overheating because it restricts air flow why not purchase a road legal oblong that is sized according to your registration. We highly recommend you go down the road legal route and provide your documents etc so you get the endorsement at the bottom of your plate!

logik

Advanced Member
As far as i know the sticky plates are illegal in Ireland also... Any excuse to pull us.

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
hmmm this is a tough call, if i had it my way i would have the plate that i have been eyeing up at 3/4 size, and it would be wrongly spaced...

bit this is asking for trouble on 2 counts...

if i just stick with the standard reg that i'm allocated, i'd still want it smaller to make it as least ugly as possible, but even thats a hassle at MOT time etc...

all in all it looks to be a bit too much of a pain in the arse... bit like having a decat changing it at MOT time just aint worth the trouble...

standard looks so darn crap tho!!!!