Front wheel drive, inferior?

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Recently I have been thinking about the Dc5 being Fwd and thinking is fwd inferior to its rwd / awd competition. None of the really fast car are fwd!! E.g Nissan skyline, which I know is the ultimate jdm car (r34 gt-r). I was recently at an event that had a lot of high powered cars there, s15, rx7, r32, r34 etc. I could not help but feel I have the wrong car with regards the driven wheels. I know this mind set would creep in at an event like this nut I have been thinking it for a while!! Despite the fact the dc5 is a jdm only car I still felt inferior to the turbos on display and even knew my car would be looked down on if it made an appearance even if it is a capable car in its own right. As usual there were burn outs when the event was over a lot of turbo chatter and rubber left down. Again a fwd doing any of this just looks ridiculous. I don't think I am the only one who thinks this? Also sliding the back out is a lot more fun than fwd understeer when driven a tad too flamboyant. What's people's opinion?

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Feeling a bit insecure are we LOL

Nah, just different horses for courses i think, The DC5 is in a different league to those rear drive/turbo'd cars......Just different ;)

T.G.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
the thing to remember is anyone can go fast in a straight line. if your not fast enough then add more power.

the real measure is in seconds round a track, the dc5 will own loads of high powered cars due to its characteristics

Ek9.

RWD are more of a drivers car. An average driver can reach the limits of a FWD whereas a RWD requires alot more skill to reap the benefit. For that reason they are more satisfying.
I think alot of people would agree that a proper sports car would have to be RWD.

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
Ek9. said:
RWD are more of a drivers car. An average driver can reach the limits of a FWD whereas a RWD requires alot more skill to reap the benefit. For that reason they are more satisfying.
I think alot of people would agree that a proper sports car would have to be RWD.
I have to disagree. It all depends on setup. Just look at the BTCC there are RWD and FWD and they are all close on performance and handling.

If a FWD is set up correctly It takes skill to control.

People who say It is easy to master FWD have no idea what they are talking about and will never be seen on a track proving their thoughts.

dave c

400hp K20
I'm just about to buy a RWD car to satisfy that same urge, no way i'd sell the teg for one tho!

I think driving a FWD car quickly is a skill but my guess is that driving a RWD car quickly will be a harder skill to master. I might be wrong and i've never really tried a RWD car but I wouldn't feel insecure that you have the wrong drive type. FWD (specifically the integra) can smash high powered 4wd and rwd variations, thats one i have tried and tested :)

Fingers crossed i could be RWD within a month just trying to sell the jordan first

WatkinsDW

TyperItr said:
E.g Nissan skyline, which I know is the ultimate jdm car (r34 gt-r).
Sorry im slightly off topic lol. My ultimate jdm car would have to be the supra and it's 2jz

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I can see what people mean about around a track, I know I have met a few people in much more desirable cars slower than my teg. On track, seconds do matter yes, but if you are not fully into track times (like me) I feel a RWD would be more fun.

WatkinsDW its all a matter of personal opinion, I like the supra for what it is, but I don't actually like the look of it that much, still a great car and engine but for me the R34 GT-R takes the medal.

Dave C I am in the same boat as you so! Need some turbo RWD tyre smoking / drifting in my life. I am looking at S15s now they are about 10k though, I don't have the money to buy one, but like you the teg wont be sacrificed for one! I will need both. I think for fun factor it will overtake the teg, If not a bit slower on track and in a straight line. 350 brake is easy to get out of a S15 so I have researched.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I love the Teg on the track, for FWD it is so capable and you can be so aggressive with it/really lean on it and it will just grip and go.

Personally, I'm always looking at some form of Turbo RWD car, S14, S15, R32 or R33. Something I could turn into a bit of a drift slag. Maybe once the missus can get insured on the Teg and we could get rid of the Golf.

beppe786

Beppe
any tom dick or harry can drive a fwd its safe only issue is traction 350bhp is the limit before things aren't fun anymore..

you have to agree wheels spinning in fwd car isn't fun.. but on a rwd car its fun.. my bmw had saved me so many times in the wet a bit scared to completely turn off stability control, just allows you to drift a certain amount then catches you.. if you really over do it.. it corrects you by applying brakes to individual wheels.

very high powered Awd is the way.. will smash anything wet dry or mud.. drifting in that around corners is something else..

Rom

Advanced Member
I can't help but think this is an un fair comparison.

Those cars are monsters because of the engines. They are all turbo, all capable of massive power.
They are not front wheel drive as it just wouldn't work.

Our cars are very niche. So they get overlooked a lot.
I choose my cars because I like them, I don't care if anyone else does.

No matter what you have, someone will always have better, and look down on it.

For half the price of a dc5, you can buy an old scooby. Turbo, 4wd.
But who wants to?!

I'd have an evo, as they are weapons, and no where near as common as scoobies. Skylines aren't my thing.
Though I've liked Silvias ever since I had race spec one in the original Gran Turismo!

mark type r

Advanced Member
I've just sold my S15 and I'm coming back.

All this drifting around corners etc is all well and good in people's heads but in real life terms it's pure dangerous.
Too much traffic, roads are too small and try hitting oil on the road. It'll spin you in a blink of an eye if you're not quick enough to catch it.

My S15 would keep up with the wife's Evo until you hit the B road, then you can feel the back end trying to overtake you as you try to go quick.

If I could race myself, 270bhp S15 vs standard DC5 down a B road. My DC5 self would leave my S15 standing.
You've got to have full control of a RWD to get the best out of it, then you could possibly keep up.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Was the S15 a nice car to own overall though? Is it a bit Lairy in the wet with the lack of traction control? I have never driven one but love the look of them. Probably takes a lot of practice to harness the S15

mark type r

Advanced Member
It was savage.

The first few months I had poor tyres on from Japan and it's backend was all over the place.
After I changed them it wasn't too bad. It's a very basic car, feels like a track car.
The gearbox is loud and sticks into the passenger footwell, there's no comfort and stereos are pointless. You are buying a race car for the road.

You can't drive it like the Teg, if you try to push hard around roundabouts it'll kick on you. You can feel what it's doing though, very responsive.

I drove 40 miles a day in it and it started to annoy me, too noisy, too uncomfortable and ever time I wanted yo give it full beans there's the worry of it flipping out and ruining your day. Plus the loss of £11k stops you from treating it like DK.

Good car, brilliant for weekend or short trips.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
That is an immaculate car mark, if I was to get one though it would have to have the aero pack on it! It seems I am not the only one with these type of thoughts so!! sounds like a handful as an everyday car, I still think it could be great fun once you master it

mark type r

Advanced Member
The car was sound, it's a bit basic though and it can become annoying.
If I wasn't commuting so far it would of been fine but I still think you can have more fun in a Teg. Hence why I'm coming back