fuel efficiency

syko89

Hi, just had a quick search but couldnt find anything.

I just want to know at what rpm is best to change gear for efficiency.

Usually in my old cars (a 1.2 and a 1.6) ive always changed gear at around 2,000rpm thinking it was fairly efficient.

Ive heard that the vtec engine runs very lean (65:1 air to fuel) and that they love to rev.

So if you just progressing through the gears to try and save fuel, when would you change gear? and if you were to cruise at a certain speed what rpm would you be aiming for for maximum mpg?
Obviously without over working the engine with low revs in a high gear...

Im not a grandad all the time on the road but it would be nice to know im not wasting petrol when theres no need.

Cheers, Chris

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Just keep the revs as low as you can without the engine laboring like you said!

I never thought revs were amazingly bad for economy as long as your sensible, when i drove my teg in 'eco' mode i could regularly get 40mpg during mixed driving. I never went over 4k to get that but would still hold onto the revs till 3000-3500 while accelerating up to speed depending where i was.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Just keep the revs as low as you can without the engine laboring like you said!

I never thought revs were amazingly bad for economy as long as your sensible, when i drove my teg in 'eco' mode i could regularly get 40mpg during mixed driving. I never went over 4k to get that but would still hold onto the revs till 3000-3500 while accelerating up to speed depending where i was.
Spot on, thats exactly what I do and I always get around 40mpg. That is at about 60mph constant.

scw02102

I got 350miles out of my last tank - was pretty pleased with that

its not always revs its how much fuel u squirt in

e.g no good doing 25mph in 6th with ur foot half way down as u got no revs.

but I find changing around 2500rpm seems to do the trick for me

NiCkO

Advanced Member
i just go with the simple way witch comprises "first gear smash it on the limiter then plonk it in 6th and be done with it" :D

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
I've never seen any more than 340 in nearly 2 years of ownership. Thinking of putting a valve spring under the go peddle

chiefpulsar

Advanced Member
surely having mods and a supporting map would effect it.

i've had 330 (there was a little still left in her, easy another 30 miles) out of a tank of juice and that included some "spirited" driving to japfest from swanage-castle combe-cheltenham-swanage.

my mods are gruppem, dc sports mani, pro spec exhaust and kpro. whether the frsu would help i dont know?

Someone did put up a post a couple of years a go, with pics showing 400 miles out of a tank.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
it was alot more than 400, think it was around 520

I did bookmark it from the old forum as Honda Integra Type R • View topic - The - MPG vs DC5 thread - a battle ofwill and self restraint

cant find it on here via the search as it does not want to find anything grrrrr

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I think whoever told you the AFT was 65:1 is confused with a totally electric car ;-)

If you can get 400 from a tank you are doing very well indeed , most get around the 300 mark

syko89

thanks for the info guys, ill stick to around 2500-3000 between back road blasts then :p

the 65:1 air to fuel ratio was on an ivtec youtube video i believe, i was stunned when i heard it myself when the standard is 14:1, i will double check :D

syko89

heres the link explaining how the i-Vtec works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEtm2y1yXnI

just noticed this is the i-Vtec I engine, what engine this sits in i dont know.