Fuel smell

impne

Advanced Member
Picked car up Monday filled tank drove about 150 miles all ok

Used Tuesday again about same miles all ok was very hot weather

Filled tank Thursday night then Friday morning went to see Tom who gave car clean bill of health apart from alarm not working and difficult to get in the darn car😁

Straight after I'd left tgm I filled tank then drove around m25 and did approx 120 miles in hot conditions in traffic at some points. Arrived at my sisters unpacked car. About 10 minutes later popped to town, had fight with alarm to arm then disarm 😁 But otherwise car ok

Got back and car stunk of fuel. Had a look around, no smell from engine bay but could smell fuel from under car strongest infront of passenger rear wheel but wind was swirling a bit.
Made a call or two but decided in my opinion not to monitor it but take it to Honda dealer who very kindly looked at it straight away. They said nothing leaking at all possibly could be fuel filter that sits in the top of fuel tank as I'd filled the car a couple of times could have highlighted issue and it may need changing? They didn't investigate further due to it being late and they looked at it as a favour. Told me access should be under rear seat?

Another bit of info was due to heat maybe just venting fumes?

I've just been out again at 8:30 and the car still stinks of fuel on the outside.

Anyone had this or know if this could be a filter issue and if you do indeed get to it via rear seat?

I'm a bit nervous as I lost an old Vauxhall chevette HS 2.3 years ago when it went up in flames

Any help greatly appreciated

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Yeah the fuel tank is under your back seats. To get at it you just give it a quick tug if i remember right.

anyway if you fuel filter was ever changed they may not have sealed the cap on the tank properly. I have the same issue with my car, if i fill it too much i get a petrol smell just not had time to fix he cap properly yet. As it has only started to happen since i was at it. So it can not be anything else. I suspect you have the same issue.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
As above really..
The only bit of the fuelling system that could cause strong smell inside would be the filter, or more likely the cover seal damaged or not quite right. If it's been to Honda I would have expected them to notice that though.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

impne

Advanced Member
Just taken back seat out, only one bolt holding it in so easy job.

Took plate off, checked filter was all ok and seated correctly. Also checked plate and it looked like new and no damage to foam seal but as it's old you can't tell if not as soft as it was originally to give a good seal so have ordered a new one as well as filter and petrol cap.

Put it back together and went for a run but smell still there so hopefully when the new parts arrive and are fitted all will be ok

Ben_brodie

Advanced Member
I had a similar issue a while back... May be worth checking the fuel filler pipe. It began with a subtle smell of fuel inside the car for quite a long time until one day I filled the tank totally full and parked on a hill overnight, came out to find fuel dripping down the rear arch from behind the fuel flap

impne

Advanced Member
Cheers will do as it seems to me after inspection not to be cover plate but I could be wrong

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
I had the same thing a few months back - turns out my springs that was holding my exhaust had come off.

impne

Advanced Member
Went to mates today. He used to run a garage but has shut shop and retired. Plus point 4 lifts to borrow 😊
Anyway found where smell was coming from.

It has seal on top of tank and that is leaking and running down tank. Easy miss for Honda main dealer 😗 I'll let them off 😐

Mate said the same as Tom at tgm that the car is mint underneath, Tom said he hadn't seen one this clean for a while so even though a few issues I'm very happy. It only has 48000 miles as well.

This wasn't how I thought the car would be after first week of ownership in loads of bits but hey ho

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
impne said:
Went to mates today. He used to run a garage but has shut shop and retired. Plus point 4 lifts to borrow 😊
Anyway found where smell was coming from.

It has seal on top of tank and that is leaking and running down tank. Easy miss for Honda main dealer 😗 I'll let them off 😐

Mate said the same as Tom at tgm that the car is unblemished underneath, Tom said he hadn't seen one this clean for a while so even though a few issues I'm very happy. It only has 48000 miles as well.

This wasn't how I thought the car would be after first week of ownership in loads of bits but hey ho
What's the solution, new fuel tank / can you the seal individually?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

impne

Advanced Member
You can get a part for the top sorry not sure what you call it but seals filter and pump on top of tank.

Not too much to buy looking at it but I'll update when it comes from Honda with serial number

impne

Advanced Member
I was going to take the part off that I thought was the problem but it won't budge at all.
I'm not a mechanic, I have tools but nothing to get a grip to turn the part ( black with ridges in pic ) any ideas.

Not sure if you can tell but the top of the fuel tank in dip is swimming in fuel

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
impne said:
I was going to take the part off that I thought was the problem but it won't budge at all.
I'm not a mechanic, I have tools but nothing to get a grip to turn the part ( black with ridges in pic ) any ideas.

Not sure if you can tell but the top of the fuel tank in dip is swimming in fuel
Ye that's where mine leaked from, but only does it when I put a full tank in.

Yeah if you could update with the part number when you get it that'd be awesome!

impne

Advanced Member
I've had a think and I'm going to take it to a Honda dealer I trust an hour away not my local one which is only 5 minutes to sort it out.
Getting a bit sick of every night sorting a daft thing out instead of enjoying the car and work is very busy at the moment.
I'll have to have a word with the garage I've just bought it from and get an agreement out of them for costs.
I'll see what happens but the car is already stripped so very easy access for them which will hopefully keep costs down not that I think I should be paying it anyway

impne

Advanced Member
Decided due to long wait at Honda I'll just do it myself

Anyway found the leak

I ran the car with inspection plate for only a couple of seconds and fuel started pouring out of the cracks you can see here and filling around into the little bowl on the top on the tank. It was quite alarming to see how quickly it was coming out and how dangerous this obviously was driving from Devon to the north east in it.

The reason Honda didn't spot it I assume when I took it into the dealer down south was that after only 5 minutes even with the amount of fuel that came out it had evaporated without trace.

Swapped this, changed the seal for safety also as well as fuel filter and I had already fitted a new inspection plate as the foam seals had also gone.

You couldn't or I couldn't anyway see the cracks on the top as in pic above due to the dirt which I really should have clean and I would have spotted this earlier.

I guess that anyone with a fuel smell should really take a look at this, only have to remove the rear seat, inspection plate and start the car and watch for fuel. Make sure it an open environment.

On another note I fitted my new tegiwa induction kit which was ok but would have been quicker with instructions and all the parts required instead of missing bolts but I got there in the end. I opened the old filter case and found this

Mugen filter

Very dirty and it used to have a foam something in there also which had crumbled into dust apart from the word mugen lol

Dread to think if it has sucked all that crap into the car

Anyway another couple of jobs out of the way

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Have you got the part numbers for all the fuel filter and seals etc that you replaced?

Cheers

impne

Advanced Member
I've got them at parents I'll list later tonight or tomorrow 👍

impne

Advanced Member
The strainer was the part with cracks on the top - 16010-SSA-932 £32:00
I also got a new inspection cover plate - 74660-SSA-000 £15:00
Sorry I've bought that many parts it's difficult to know what's what with the poor description on Honda receipts
I think the rubber seal for the strainer is H17574S3Y003 £11:50 listed on receipt as ( packing, fuel pump m )
These were for 2001 pfl
Prices differ slightly from dealer to dealer, I normally get a good price from the parts manager local to me due to the number of bits each week I order
Hope this helps some people