Funny Smell

martinj46

Advanced Member
Bit of an odd one this, if the mods want to move it feel free.

I've recently noticed that there is a really disgusting, sewage like smell when driving along with the driver's window open. At first I thought it was just something outside as when stationary or with the window closed there is no smell. I've had a sniff around this evening (neighbours probably think I've lost it) and it seems to be coming from down behind the bottom window seal, although it was only a very faint scent while stopped.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Or how to go about rectifying it? Is getting the door card off to gain access an "involving" job?

Cheers

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Getting the door card is pretty easy, it's a few screws and clips, sure there's a guide on here or RSX forum, takes me about 5-10 minutes.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
May do. Usually a sign of it. What mileage is it? Not known one to go though. I know they are about £1200 new from Honda!! Scary.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
It's unlikely the cat will need replacement, but the smell isn't usually smell able from the car , you will sometimes get it if you are following a car that's had a ragging .

There is a drain pipe from the ac that can get blocked and cause a smell , there could also be some damp somewhere , not usually in the door panel though,

I once ran over an already dead badger , some of its fur stuck to the clamp on my exhaust, that smelt pretty bad for ages

martinj46

Advanced Member
Cheers for the replies guys

There is a drain pipe from the ac that can get blocked and cause a smell
Where should I be looking for this?

Hopefully it's good weather at the weekend, and I'll have a look underneath to check for any dead animals etc haha

Bonito

Advanced Member
May or may not solve your problem but I noticed I was getting a bad smell too. Then when I was filling my washer bottle at a petrol station I noticed the water smelled rancid. The garage I'd filled up my washer bottle the last couple times uses recycled rain water. God knows how long it sits there in the tanks going stagment.

martinj46

Advanced Member
May or may not solve your problem but I noticed I was getting a bad smell too. Then when I was filling my washer bottle at a petrol station I noticed the water smelled rancid. The garage I'd filled up my washer bottle the last couple times uses recycled rain water. God knows how long it sits there in the tanks going stagment.
I fill mine up from the hose at home, so it shouldn't be that, but I'll check it out tonight anyway, thanks.

I've narrowed it down to something outside the car now, as the same smell comes inside with the passenger window open. The weather looks good for tomorrow, so I'll get her jacked up and have a scan underneath

C&S Evo7 - did you have any luck finding the link?

dave c

400hp K20
I bet theres a dead animal (or part of) in there, can't think what else it would be.

Neighbours haven't lost a pet recently have they :)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
As above, check all those! lol

I would hazard a guess at the stale water theme, possibly pooling in the bottom of the door and not draining away...

There are little drain holes at the bottom of the doors (towards the type-r sticker end) see if they are clear.

martinj46

Advanced Member
Update

Had a good look under the car today, nothing to see though.

The smell is definitely coming from behind the drivers door card though, more specifically the locking mechanism. It's currently soaking in degreaser and I'll re grease it. Hopefully that will clear whatever it is causing the smell.

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Maybe someone has slid poop down between your window seal and it's now laying in the door :-(

martinj46

Advanced Member
Haha thankfully not. Cleaning out the locking mechanism seems to have sorted the problem, fingers crossed it doesn't come back.