Fuses

TomNorris

Advanced Member
Apologies if this thread has been discussed elsewhere but I cant find anything on it.

Has anybody else's car got an appetite for fuses?
I have an '03 C pack and the fuse for the electric folding mirrors keeps blowing. As in - instantly, immediate after fitting. Its a 10amp fuse as standard and my car will blow anything up to a 30amp instantly.
Now, if it were just the mirrors which were affected I probably wouldn't be too bothered but given that it takes the heating / air-con controls out with it its rather tedious.

Anybody have any experience of this or any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

SamDC5

Advanced Member
TomNorris said:
Apologies if this thread has been discussed elsewhere but I cant find anything on it.

Has anybody else's car got an appetite for fuses?
I have an '03 C pack and the fuse for the electric folding mirrors keeps blowing. As in - instantly, immediate after fitting. Its a 10amp fuse as standard and my car will blow anything up to a 30amp instantly.
Now, if it were just the mirrors which were affected I probably wouldn't be too bothered but given that it takes the heating / air-con controls out with it its rather tedious.

Anybody have any experience of this or any ideas?

Thanks

Tom
You have a short somewhere then, make sure no live wires are touching chassis.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

anton1234

Advanced Member
Hi,

Sounds like something on that circuit has a short circuit, be very careful putting in a bigger fuse if it's designed for a 10a fuse, you may end up melting the wires or even worse they can catch fire,

you will need somebody with a bit of knowledge to disconnect any electrical items on this circuit one at a time and check with a multimeter, if you can find a wiring diagram online that will be help massively

TomNorris

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice - I had to go all the way up to a 30 Amp to get the mirrors to adjust and then took the fuse out so currently running with no power mirrors or heater controls.
I'll start by seeing if there are any wires touching the chassis anywhere - Shall report back once i have taken a proper look this weekend.

My theory is it'll be something to do with the folding mirrors - either water ingress or perished wires. If its the heater controls causing the issue then I'm not going to be too happy as it'll no doubt be a pain to find & resolve.

The only other thing I can think at this point that it may be related to the Alarm install or the fog light as its only been in the UK for a month.

Cheers

Tom

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
If it‘s only been in the uk one month, and you sourced it via an import company then does it not have a warranty you could fall back on? Get it to a decent auto electrician as stated above.

TomNorris

Advanced Member
It does indeed, it was imported by Torque GT.
I think I'll have a look this weekend and see if its anything easy to find and resolve. If not it'll have to go to somebody who actually knows what they're doing.
Its looking like a weekend spending a few hours with a multi-meter.

So.... I've just stuck a new fuse in it - Its absolutely fine now. No issues whatsoever.

So, its definitely a grounding issue.

TomNorris

Advanced Member
So the latest is its not the mirrors.
I gave her a wash and the issue has returned. So it's definitely water getti g in somewhere but having disconnected the mirrors the the fuse was still blowing. So now I'm totally stumped. Time for somebody who knows what they're doing to look at it.

On another note the door cards on integras are really sharp!

TomNorris

Advanced Member
Update...... I hate electronics.

Yesterday, in the sun and the dry the fuse kept going. Had the air filter out to get to the AC pump wires, check the pollen filter all that jazz, no issue could be found but the fuse kept blowing.

Today, in the pouring down rain I had the climate control dials out checked all the wiring there.... No issue. Put her all back together, put a fuse in- guess what's now fine. Everything now working as it should.

TomNorris

Advanced Member
Update...... She's off to grinspeed in Leyland next week to be sorted.

Honestly cannot speak highly enough of torque gt throughout this process. They've been absolute legends. Will definitely be using them again even with the distance and would definitely recommend them to anybody.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
TomNorris said:
Update...... I hate electronics.

Yesterday, in the sun and the dry the fuse kept going. Had the air filter out to get to the AC pump wires, check the pollen filter all that jazz, no issue could be found but the fuse kept blowing.

Today, in the pouring down rain I had the climate control dials out checked all the wiring there.... No issue. Put her all back together, put a fuse in- guess what's now fine. Everything now working as it should.
Sounds like you have disturbed whatever the issue is, glad it's sorted.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

TomNorris

Advanced Member
Honestly, whatever it was I'd never have found it in a million years. It was the most temperamental issue ever. Sometimes when wet, sometimes over bumps. Totally unpredictable and usually unexpected. Anyway, dispute not covering electronics in their warrenty torque booked me into grinspeed and are sorting the repair. I really cannot speak highly enough.